Memory use when returning large amounts of base64 encoded data

  • tim_bennington
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2002
      Hello

      I have written an XMLRPC server using SOAP::Lite (version 0.52 -
      default installation options, Perl 5.6.1, Redhat Linux 6.2). I have
      struck a problem when returning base64 encoded image data.

      Everything works but after returning the image data the program
      memory usage grows by more than 120MB. The images are fairly large,
      typically 5-6MB, and once base64 encoded ~7-8MB.

      Initially, I was calling MIME::Base64::encode_base64 directly and
      returning the data as a string.
      I have also tried using SOAP::Data->type(base64 => $imageData), in
      the hope that this would avoid the use of "as_string" in the
      serializer since the docs noted a performance hit when using
      as_string as opposed to as_base64. This still causes the same memory
      use problem.

      Is there any way that I may be able to cut down this memory usage or
      is that just what it takes?

      Thanks

      Tim