Re: [soaplite] Re: $My::SOAP::Transport::CGI::POST_MAX = 100 * 1024

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002
      Hi, Duncan!

      --- Duncan Cameron <dcameron@...> wrote:
      > What's the motivation? To stop deliberate attempts to
      > overload/crash
      > the SOAP application? By the time the CGI application runs, the
      > http server has probably read all the request anyway. Maybe it's
      the
      > http server which needs to have limit applied?
      No, server shouldn't read all the request at this point. In most
      cases it'll just redirect STDIN/STDOUT, so CGI application will get
      the request by reading its STDIN.

      > However I notice that CGI.pm has a similar idea, $CGI::POST_MAX,
      > so perhaps it's a sound idea.
      Yes, because it's CGI app's responsibility to read and handle the
      request.

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • aaron_of_montreal
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002

        > The only problem that I currently have is whether I should return
        > HTTP error (for example: "413 Request Entity Too Large") or SOAP

        If you follow the examples set by CGI.pm and the "Contentious Issues"
        section of the SOAP book, wouldn't you do both? e.g. return the fault,
        but set the reponse code to 413.

        > fault. I can also generate "411 Length Required" when there is no
        > Content-length header.

        I guess my preference would be to actually read/count the bytes since
        the Content-length header could, arguably, be tweaked and not match
        the actual size of the request.

        If returning a 411 code is the "Right Thing" to do then I can deal but
        I am more concerned with how much data is really being read from
        STDIN.

        Cheers,