Re: [soaplite] Re: $My::SOAP::Transport::CGI::POST_MAX = 100 * 1024

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002
      Hi, Aaron!

      --- aaron_of_montreal <aaron_of_montreal@...> wrote:
      > That's what I thought, originally, but decided to err on the side
      > of paranoia :
      >
      > "The Content-length header specifies the length of the data (in
      > bytes)
      > that is returned by the client-specified URL. Due to the dynamic
      > nature of some requests, the Content-length is sometimes unknown,
      > and this header might be omitted." [1]
      From the context it seems like this text applies to server side,
      rather than to client side, so Duncan's code should be sufficient in
      most if not all cases.

      The only problem that I currently have is whether I should return
      HTTP error (for example: "413 Request Entity Too Large") or SOAP
      fault. I can also generate "411 Length Required" when there is no
      Content-length header.

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • Duncan Cameron
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002
        Thinking about this a bit more, I'm not sure of the usefulness of
        checking content-length at this stage - it may be too late.

        What's the motivation? To stop deliberate attempts to overload/crash
        the SOAP application? By the time the CGI application runs, the http
        server has probably read all the request anyway. Maybe it's the http
        server which needs to have limit applied?

        However I notice that CGI.pm has a similar idea, $CGI::POST_MAX,
        so perhaps it's a sound idea.

        Regards,
        Duncan Cameron

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002
          Hi, Duncan!

          --- Duncan Cameron <dcameron@...> wrote:
          > What's the motivation? To stop deliberate attempts to
          > overload/crash
          > the SOAP application? By the time the CGI application runs, the
          > http server has probably read all the request anyway. Maybe it's
          the
          > http server which needs to have limit applied?
          No, server shouldn't read all the request at this point. In most
          cases it'll just redirect STDIN/STDOUT, so CGI application will get
          the request by reading its STDIN.

          > However I notice that CGI.pm has a similar idea, $CGI::POST_MAX,
          > so perhaps it's a sound idea.
          Yes, because it's CGI app's responsibility to read and handle the
          request.

          Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
          http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
        • aaron_of_montreal
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2002

            > The only problem that I currently have is whether I should return
            > HTTP error (for example: "413 Request Entity Too Large") or SOAP

            If you follow the examples set by CGI.pm and the "Contentious Issues"
            section of the SOAP book, wouldn't you do both? e.g. return the fault,
            but set the reponse code to 413.

            > fault. I can also generate "411 Length Required" when there is no
            > Content-length header.

            I guess my preference would be to actually read/count the bytes since
            the Content-length header could, arguably, be tweaked and not match
            the actual size of the request.

            If returning a 411 code is the "Right Thing" to do then I can deal but
            I am more concerned with how much data is really being read from
            STDIN.

            Cheers,