Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite architecture

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2002
      Hi, Sam!

      --- Sam Tregar <sam@...> wrote:
      > I strongly disagree. There is a well documented "best practice" -
      > write
      > to modules@... and register your namespaces with them. I
      > suspect
      > you could have avoided squatting on SOAP:: if you'd gotten their
      > input when you started the module!
      Actually that's precisely what I did (you can find my message in the
      archive). And I carefully checked archives on that and related
      topics. In most cases you register MAIN namespace for your module,
      but I never heard about registering internal modules and any
      recommendations as for namespaces they should use.

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • Sam Tregar
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2002
        On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Paul Kulchenko wrote:

        > Actually that's precisely what I did (you can find my message in the
        > archive). And I carefully checked archives on that and related
        > topics. In most cases you register MAIN namespace for your module,
        > but I never heard about registering internal modules and any
        > recommendations as for namespaces they should use.

        What is the point of registering a namespace if you don't register all
        that you intend to use? As I understand it, the point behind registering
        namespaces is so that people will know that you "own" that name. Now,
        most modules can get away with just registering the base name since they
        keep their private modules below their base - i.e. registering Foo::Bar
        and then including Foo::Bar::Baz and Foo::Bar::Bif. However, the same
        does not apply to registering Foo::Bar and then including Foo::Baz and
        Foo::Bif in your distribution.

        But I think you understand what I'm saying - I don't mean to beat you over
        the head with it. What's done is done, right?

        -sam