Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite architecture

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 20, 2002
      Hi, Sam!

      Both points are valid. First of all, there WILL be redesign, but not
      VERY soon and I will ask for your suggestions re new design. Second,
      to my defense, only 2900 lines out of 5000 are actual code, the rest
      of it is documentation and is not processed, because it sits after
      __END__

      Memory usage can definitely be lowered, but not because of
      repackaging (see below), but slightly changing interactions between
      internal modules. I'm working on it.

      Psychological aspect. I started my module when SOAP.pm already
      existed and if you take a look into its distribution you'll find
      there SOAP.pm, sixteen (!) files in SOAP directory and 4 files for
      HTTP transport. I just got lost jumping between all of them and when
      I started my module I decided that it will NOT be like this.

      What we have now is one module for SOAP, one module for every
      transport and one test module. All other modules are loaded ONLY when
      needed.

      Let's take a look inside and see what's required for client and
      server.

      SOAP::Constants -- both
      SOAP::Utils -- both
      SOAP::Transport -- client (50 lines)
      SOAP::Fault -- server, both in the future
      SOAP::Data -- both
      SOAP::Header -- both
      SOAP::Serializer -- both
      SOAP::Parser -- both
      SOAP::MIMEParser -- server, not always (80 lines)
      SOAP::SOM -- both
      SOAP::Deserializer -- both
      SOAP::Client -- client (10 lines)
      SOAP::Server::* -- server (220 lines)
      SOAP::Trace -- both
      SOAP::Custom::XML::* -- both, not always (50 lines)
      SOAP::Schema::* -- client, not always (250 lines)

      we can save about 300 lines for client and server, approx 10%.

      > Also, any reason why SOAP::Lite doesn't use its own namespace for
      > internal
      > modules (for example by using SOAP::Trace rather than
      > SOAP::Lite::Trace)?
      No particular reason. I thought it's not convenient to write
      SOAP::Lite::Data, SOAP::Lite::Serializer, SOAP::Lite::Parser, and so
      on, and if you don't do it for some module, it doesn't make much
      sense to do it for others. Even considering this I was very careful
      to not interfere with modules from SOAP module (Keith Brown,
      DevelopMentor), the only SOAP module for Perl available at that time
      and I'm pretty sure even now you can use them in one script (though I
      didn't try it with last versions).

      Let me know if you think it's unreasonable, I'll definitely consider
      what can be done to fix this.

      One more reason why it's better to keep modules in separate files, is
      that you can use 'use/require' in this case. It can't be easily done
      when modules are packaged in one file. I would like to hear other
      reasons why do NOT keep them together ;). Thank you.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      --- Sam Tregar <sam@...> wrote:
      > Why is SOAP::Lite stored in one module file? I ask for two
      > reasons:
      >
      > 1) It seems to me that memory usage could be lowered if modules
      > were
      > only loaded into memory when actually used. This can be done
      > through
      > require, autouse or (shudder) the AutoLoader.
      >
      > 2) I've never seen a module distribution this large in one file
      > before.
      > I'm writing about CPAN module construction at the moment - if
      > there
      > are reasons to recommend doing things this way I'd like to hear
      > them!
      >
      > Also, any reason why SOAP::Lite doesn't use its own namespace for
      > internal
      > modules (for example by using SOAP::Trace rather than
      > SOAP::Lite::Trace)?
      >
      > -sam

      Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
      http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
    • Sam Tregar
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 20, 2002
        On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Paul Kulchenko wrote:

        > Both points are valid. First of all, there WILL be redesign, but not
        > VERY soon and I will ask for your suggestions re new design.

        Sounds good to me.

        > Psychological aspect. I started my module when SOAP.pm already
        > existed and if you take a look into its distribution you'll find
        > there SOAP.pm, sixteen (!) files in SOAP directory and 4 files for
        > HTTP transport. I just got lost jumping between all of them and when
        > I started my module I decided that it will NOT be like this.

        Ok, I guess this works out to an esthetic judgment then. I had an
        opposite reaction while working my way through the SOAP::Lite source - I
        wished it was more compartmentalized so that I could read through it in
        smaller chunks. I can see that this is more of judgment call than
        anything else...

        > we can save about 300 lines for client and server, approx 10%.

        This could be a significant saving - maybe 1MB or more depending on what's
        actually in those lines.

        > No particular reason. I thought it's not convenient to write
        > SOAP::Lite::Data, SOAP::Lite::Serializer, SOAP::Lite::Parser, and so
        > on, and if you don't do it for some module, it doesn't make much
        > sense to do it for others. Even considering this I was very careful
        > to not interfere with modules from SOAP module (Keith Brown,
        > DevelopMentor), the only SOAP module for Perl available at that time
        > and I'm pretty sure even now you can use them in one script (though I
        > didn't try it with last versions).

        It's definitely more convenient. However, considering that you don't
        "own" the SOAP:: namespace, it's not very polite to create modules there
        without registering them. If someone else wants to write a SOAP tracing
        package they have to know that SOAP::Lite has claimed SOAP::Trace already ,
        for example. The more popular the SOAP protocol gets the more likely this
        sort of problem is to occur.

        Unfortunately I think this would be a hard problem to fix - SOAP::Lite
        exposes a number of SOAP:: namespaces through its interface (SOAP::Data
        for example).

        > One more reason why it's better to keep modules in separate files, is
        > that you can use 'use/require' in this case. It can't be easily done
        > when modules are packaged in one file.

        I don't understand what you mean by this. I've written modules that use
        multiple namespaces and are separated into multiple files. Typically the
        user does:

        use Foo;

        And then in Foo.pm you have:

        package Foo;
        use Foo::Required;

        And later, when Foo::Optional is needed:

        require Foo::Optional; import Foo::Optional;

        Is there a problem here that I don't know about?

        -sam
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2002
          Hi, Sam!

          --- Sam Tregar <sam@...> wrote:
          > smaller chunks. I can see that this is more of judgment call than
          > anything else...
          I agree.

          > > we can save about 300 lines for client and server, approx 10%.
          > This could be a significant saving - maybe 1MB or more depending on
          > what's actually in those lines.
          Hardly that much, but I'll do some tests to find exact number.

          > It's definitely more convenient. However, considering that you
          > don't
          > "own" the SOAP:: namespace, it's not very polite to create modules
          > there
          > without registering them. If someone else wants to write a SOAP
          > tracing
          > package they have to know that SOAP::Lite has claimed SOAP::Trace
          > already ,
          > for example. The more popular the SOAP protocol gets the more
          > likely this sort of problem is to occur.
          There are two different problems. Every module uses at least one
          namespace, and SOAP::Lite uses about ten of them. Since most of them
          are packaged in one file, it's not easy to find that namespace is
          already taken. Later is easy to address. POD file for every module
          can be created, so it'll be visible for CPAN searches. In addition to
          that, I would expect that SOAP developer that decides to create
          implementation in Perl will be quite familiar with other
          implementations and won't be taken by a surprise.

          First problem is more difficult. Why HTTP::Daemon namespace was used?
          Why not HTTP::LWP::Daemon or LWP::HTTP::Daemon? There are several
          reasons. What if another HTTP-based daemon will be written (in fact
          we have several. One of them is Net::Daemon? Will it create any
          problem? Maybe yes, maybe no. Was Gisle Aas impolite with taking
          HTTP::Daemon namespace? hardly. How about XML::Parser? Can't imagine
          there will be only one.

          You can't easily create several implementations behind one interface
          (unless this interface is already well established, like XML::SAX).
          It's (IMHO) reasonable to expect that there will be several competing
          implementations and some of them will use "better" namespaces. There
          is no "best practices" on thi topic, but I'd like to know different
          opinions, so next time I'll do it right.

          > I don't understand what you mean by this. I've written modules
          > that use multiple namespaces and are separated into multiple files.
          I just meant that if you have:

          -- Foo.pm
          package Foo;

          package Bar;

          you'll be able to do 'use Foo', but not 'use Bar' without doing
          tricks with %INC.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 20, 2002
            On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Paul Kulchenko wrote:

            > How about XML::Parser? Can't imagine there will be only one.

            I'll stick my neck out - I think this one was a bad choice. It probably
            should have been XML::Parser::Expat or just XML::Expat. But, hey, it's
            Larry Wall, who's going to argue? ;)

            > There is no "best practices" on thi topic, but I'd like to know
            > different opinions, so next time I'll do it right.

            I strongly disagree. There is a well documented "best practice" - write
            to modules@... and register your namespaces with them. I suspect
            you could have avoided squatting on SOAP:: if you'd gotten their input
            when you started the module!

            > I just meant that if you have:
            >
            > -- Foo.pm
            > package Foo;
            >
            > package Bar;
            >
            > you'll be able to do 'use Foo', but not 'use Bar' without doing
            > tricks with %INC.

            Ah, right. Yes, this is a small problem but it's not a big deal when you
            consider that users shouldn't usually be loading sub-modules directly.

            -sam
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2002
              Hi, Sam!

              --- Sam Tregar <sam@...> wrote:
              > I strongly disagree. There is a well documented "best practice" -
              > write
              > to modules@... and register your namespaces with them. I
              > suspect
              > you could have avoided squatting on SOAP:: if you'd gotten their
              > input when you started the module!
              Actually that's precisely what I did (you can find my message in the
              archive). And I carefully checked archives on that and related
              topics. In most cases you register MAIN namespace for your module,
              but I never heard about registering internal modules and any
              recommendations as for namespaces they should use.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 21, 2002
                On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Paul Kulchenko wrote:

                > Actually that's precisely what I did (you can find my message in the
                > archive). And I carefully checked archives on that and related
                > topics. In most cases you register MAIN namespace for your module,
                > but I never heard about registering internal modules and any
                > recommendations as for namespaces they should use.

                What is the point of registering a namespace if you don't register all
                that you intend to use? As I understand it, the point behind registering
                namespaces is so that people will know that you "own" that name. Now,
                most modules can get away with just registering the base name since they
                keep their private modules below their base - i.e. registering Foo::Bar
                and then including Foo::Bar::Baz and Foo::Bar::Bif. However, the same
                does not apply to registering Foo::Bar and then including Foo::Baz and
                Foo::Bif in your distribution.

                But I think you understand what I'm saying - I don't mean to beat you over
                the head with it. What's done is done, right?

                -sam