RE: [soaplite] SOAP::Transport::MAILTO - Heck, I'm stumped

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2001
      Hi, Chris!

      --- Chris Davies <Chris.Davies@...> wrote:
      > Arrggh is it really that simple?
      ;) I hope it is

      > I have had to strip the mail headers, so that only
      > Content-Transfer-Encoding, Content-Type, MIME-Version, and
      > Soapaction were
      > included - otherwise I get a SOAP Fault, "Application failed during
      > request
      > deserialization: syntax error at line 1, column 0, byte 0 at
      > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux/XML/Parser.pm line 185"
      It shouldn't give you any error when MIME message is well-formed.
      Would you mail me full envelope that gives you a problem?

      > Is SOAP over SMTP intended to be unidirectional, and if so, how
      > does the
      > client know that the server received and processed the request? If
      > not, then
      > how do I then transmit the SOAP response back to the client? Turn
      > about and
      > use an SMTP SOAP *client* at the server, or MIME::Lite, or what?
      It doesn't know. We published recently SOAP over SMTP spec and
      section 4 covers it briefly. What I plan to do is to add to POP3
      server ability to reply (using SMTP client) with the response message
      if reply-to header is present or if configured to reply on from
      address. However it allows you to communicate only between mail
      nodes. As an alternative, for SMTP transport you can send response
      back using *client* call. You don't have access to From address
      though and I don't plan to give you one, so it should be resolved on
      application level. Let me know if you need an example on that.

      or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
    • dduuggllaa
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2001
        Ok,

        I've almost got things working ... I just resurfaced from hacking on
        sendmail (alias mucking) and I am still a bit shaken by the
        unpleasant experience. Lord have mercy, sendmail hacking can make a
        man weep.

        Anyway here's where I'm at.

        my aliases file from sendmail:
        soapserver.soap: "| /home/turner/play/soap/smtp-soap-server.pl"

        my client:
        use SOAP::Lite +trace => qw(debug);

        my $client = SOAP::Lite->uri('HiByeLanguages');
        $client->proxy('mailto:soapserver.soap', smtp => 'lalla.uvs.is', From
        => 'turner@...', Subject => 'SOAP message');

        $client->hi();

        exit;

        my server:
        #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        #
        use strict;
        use diagnostics;
        use SOAP::Transport::IO;

        my $dispatch = SOAP::Transport::IO::Server->new();

        $dispatch->dispatch_to('/usr/local/soap/modules');
        $dispatch->handle;

        exit;

        My problem stems from my general ingnorance (well actually fear) of
        sendmail. Since soapserver.soap is merely a fictitious name used as
        an entry point to smtp-soap-server.pl how do I direct the response to
        the intended email destination (turner@...)?

        Is it possible to capture the result of the $dispatch->handle call
        within smtp-soap-server.pl? If so, I can just add some code that uses
        Mail::Sendmail to get the mail where I want it, right?

        Cheers,
        Doug