Re: [soaplite] Reference instead of NULL in .NET and SOAP::Lite Interop

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2001
      Hi, Vaibhav!

      > The client is trying to call a function with one of the parameters
      > as
      > NULL, however when the server recieves the call, the Null param is
      > not recieved as a null, rather as a Reference.
      Would it be possible to post a request wiredump? Thank you.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      --- vaibhav_arya <vaibhav_arya@...> wrote:
      > Hi:
      >
      > I am building an application with a SOAP::Lite server and clients
      > in
      > Perl, .NET, PHP and Java.
      >
      > While trying to use my .NET client against my SOAP::Lite Server,
      > the
      > following happens which i find quite surprising, any one has an
      > idea?
      >
      > The client is trying to call a function with one of the parameters
      > as
      > NULL, however when the server recieves the call, the Null param is
      > not recieved as a null, rather as a Reference.
      >
      > On treating this Reference as an array, it seems that this is a 0
      > length array.
      >
      > (Needless to say the Perl SOAP::Lite client does not show this
      > behavior)
      >
      > Is this something that is expected? Or is there a way to get around
      >
      > this
      >
      > (checking for this in every variable in every method call on the
      > server side is not possible because there are more than 100
      > methods,
      > it is easy for a programmer to forget to do it for one method call
      > and that would be a very difficult bug to trace)
      >
      > Thanks in Advance,
      > Vaibhav.

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • Vaibhav Arya
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
        Hi Paul:

        Thanks for your help. The following is the Soap
        Request from the COM object using MS SOAP SDK

        (It seems like MS SOAP is sending an empty string
        instead of a null. Could that be the issue?)

        Request :
        Method POST
        Headers HTTP::Headers=HASH(0x82b8b04)
        Uri /cgi-bin/soap/soapserver.cgi

        Content :
        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
        standalone="no"?><SOAP-ENV:Envelope

        <SOAP-ENV:Body>
        <SOAPSDK1:email xmlns:SOAPSDK1="Alert"><Alert/>
        <Admin>
        <adminID
        xsi:type="xsd:int">1</adminID>
        <siteID
        xsi:type="xsd:int">1</siteID>
        <SessionID
        xsi:type="xsd:float">1007796996303560.327407438614504</SessionID>
        </Admin>
        <values
        xmlns:SOAPSDK2="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
        xmlns:SOAPSDK3="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"

        SOAPSDK3:arrayType="SOAPSDK2:anyType[10]"
        xmlns:SOAPSDK4="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK3:Array">
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">emailfrom</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">utsah@...</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">subject</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">email test12/8/01
        12:53:55 PM</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">plainemail</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string"></SOAPSDK3:anyType>
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">htmlemail</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">PGh0bWw+PGJvZHk+dXRzYWggc2VuZCB0aGlzIHRvZGF5IDwvYm9keT48L2h0bWw+</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">emailretry</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
        <SOAPSDK3:anyType
        SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:short">2</SOAPSDK3:anyType></values>
        </SOAPSDK1:email>
        </SOAP-ENV:Body>
        </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

        Thanks again.

        Regards,
        Vaibhav Arya

        --- Paul Kulchenko <paulclinger@...> wrote:
        > Hi, Vaibhav!
        >
        > > The client is trying to call a function with one
        > of the parameters
        > > as
        > > NULL, however when the server recieves the call,
        > the Null param is
        > > not recieved as a null, rather as a Reference.
        > Would it be possible to post a request wiredump?
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Best wishes, Paul.

        =====
        - Vaibhav Arya
        <vaibhav_arya@...>

        or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
      • vaibhav_arya
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
          Hi Paul:

          Did you get the chance to see the SOAP wiredump?

          I have temporarily coded a work around in my server code that checks
          if I recieve a reference instead of the expected string datatype then
          I treat it as a "NULL" but that is a kludge and i dont want to roll
          it out into prodution.

          TIA,
          Vaibhav.