Reference instead of NULL in .NET and SOAP::Lite Interop

  • vaibhav_arya
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2001
      Hi:

      I am building an application with a SOAP::Lite server and clients in
      Perl, .NET, PHP and Java.

      While trying to use my .NET client against my SOAP::Lite Server, the
      following happens which i find quite surprising, any one has an idea?

      The client is trying to call a function with one of the parameters as
      NULL, however when the server recieves the call, the Null param is
      not recieved as a null, rather as a Reference.

      On treating this Reference as an array, it seems that this is a 0
      length array.

      (Needless to say the Perl SOAP::Lite client does not show this
      behavior)

      Is this something that is expected? Or is there a way to get around
      this

      (checking for this in every variable in every method call on the
      server side is not possible because there are more than 100 methods,
      it is easy for a programmer to forget to do it for one method call
      and that would be a very difficult bug to trace)

      Thanks in Advance,
      Vaibhav.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2001
        Hi, Vaibhav!

        > The client is trying to call a function with one of the parameters
        > as
        > NULL, however when the server recieves the call, the Null param is
        > not recieved as a null, rather as a Reference.
        Would it be possible to post a request wiredump? Thank you.

        Best wishes, Paul.

        --- vaibhav_arya <vaibhav_arya@...> wrote:
        > Hi:
        >
        > I am building an application with a SOAP::Lite server and clients
        > in
        > Perl, .NET, PHP and Java.
        >
        > While trying to use my .NET client against my SOAP::Lite Server,
        > the
        > following happens which i find quite surprising, any one has an
        > idea?
        >
        > The client is trying to call a function with one of the parameters
        > as
        > NULL, however when the server recieves the call, the Null param is
        > not recieved as a null, rather as a Reference.
        >
        > On treating this Reference as an array, it seems that this is a 0
        > length array.
        >
        > (Needless to say the Perl SOAP::Lite client does not show this
        > behavior)
        >
        > Is this something that is expected? Or is there a way to get around
        >
        > this
        >
        > (checking for this in every variable in every method call on the
        > server side is not possible because there are more than 100
        > methods,
        > it is easy for a programmer to forget to do it for one method call
        > and that would be a very difficult bug to trace)
        >
        > Thanks in Advance,
        > Vaibhav.

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Vaibhav Arya
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2001
          Hi Paul:

          Thanks for your help. The following is the Soap
          Request from the COM object using MS SOAP SDK

          (It seems like MS SOAP is sending an empty string
          instead of a null. Could that be the issue?)

          Request :
          Method POST
          Headers HTTP::Headers=HASH(0x82b8b04)
          Uri /cgi-bin/soap/soapserver.cgi

          Content :
          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"
          standalone="no"?><SOAP-ENV:Envelope

          <SOAP-ENV:Body>
          <SOAPSDK1:email xmlns:SOAPSDK1="Alert"><Alert/>
          <Admin>
          <adminID
          xsi:type="xsd:int">1</adminID>
          <siteID
          xsi:type="xsd:int">1</siteID>
          <SessionID
          xsi:type="xsd:float">1007796996303560.327407438614504</SessionID>
          </Admin>
          <values
          xmlns:SOAPSDK2="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
          xmlns:SOAPSDK3="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"

          SOAPSDK3:arrayType="SOAPSDK2:anyType[10]"
          xmlns:SOAPSDK4="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK3:Array">
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">emailfrom</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">utsah@...</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">subject</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">email test12/8/01
          12:53:55 PM</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">plainemail</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string"></SOAPSDK3:anyType>
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">htmlemail</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">PGh0bWw+PGJvZHk+dXRzYWggc2VuZCB0aGlzIHRvZGF5IDwvYm9keT48L2h0bWw+</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:string">emailretry</SOAPSDK3:anyType>
          <SOAPSDK3:anyType
          SOAPSDK4:type="SOAPSDK2:short">2</SOAPSDK3:anyType></values>
          </SOAPSDK1:email>
          </SOAP-ENV:Body>
          </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

          Thanks again.

          Regards,
          Vaibhav Arya

          --- Paul Kulchenko <paulclinger@...> wrote:
          > Hi, Vaibhav!
          >
          > > The client is trying to call a function with one
          > of the parameters
          > > as
          > > NULL, however when the server recieves the call,
          > the Null param is
          > > not recieved as a null, rather as a Reference.
          > Would it be possible to post a request wiredump?
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Best wishes, Paul.

          =====
          - Vaibhav Arya
          <vaibhav_arya@...>

          or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
        • vaibhav_arya
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2002
            Hi Paul:

            Did you get the chance to see the SOAP wiredump?

            I have temporarily coded a work around in my server code that checks
            if I recieve a reference instead of the expected string datatype then
            I treat it as a "NULL" but that is a kludge and i dont want to roll
            it out into prodution.

            TIA,
            Vaibhav.