Re: [soaplite] Creating a custom serializer for COM *in* COM?

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2001
      Hi, Joe!

      > If I want to create a custom serializer for a UDT, can I create
      > that
      > serializer in COM (VB or C++), or do I have to do it in Perl? I'm
      > assuming the latter, but it seems worth asking.
      Hm, interesting question. What is UDT, btw? Anyway, I though at first
      that answer is no, but given second though, probably answer is yes.
      It'll be difficult to INHERIT something from SOAP::Serializer and add
      functionality you need, but if you can serialize it yourself,
      probably all that you need to know is to create serializer that
      implements envelope() method that accept 'method' (literally),
      method's name and parameters and returns XML payload, and then
      register it with

      myserializer = CreateObject("your.serializer').new(....)

      and then try

      MsgBox CreateObject("SOAP.Lite").new( _
      "proxy", "http://localhost/", _
      "uri", "http://www.soaplite.com/My/Examples" _
      ).serializer(myserializer) _
      .getStateName(2) _
      .result

      Unfortunately I'm not strong on COM side at all, so I won't be able
      to try it for you (unless I'll try really hard :)), so let me know
      how it goes if you'll be able to try it. I'm always to open for new
      things, so if we could figure out together how to do it, hopefully
      you'll get it in next version (unless it'll work out-of-the-box).

      As for documentation part, yes, there is no something specific for
      COM interface. Basically description for Lite.dll is in *.ctrl in COM
      directory (there are only 7 methods and only 2 are used right now)
      and you should be able to call all methods for SOAP::Lite object you
      find in documentation, that's the reason why there is no separate
      documentation and COM interface description. It works like object
      factory if I understand it right. Hope it helps and if you can come
      up with something you'll be more than welcome and let me know if you
      have any problems. Thank you.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      P.S. You may write to maillist with general question/discussion and
      feel free to write me directly for any other questions.

      --- jtoomey@... wrote:
      > Hi.
      >
      > I've spent a bit of time playing with the standalone COM version of
      >
      > SOAP::Lite, and it seems pretty nice. I was calling live web
      > services in a VB test app about 2 minutes after I registered the
      > DLL. Pretty nice.
      >
      > If I want to create a custom serializer for a UDT, can I create
      > that
      > serializer in COM (VB or C++), or do I have to do it in Perl? I'm
      > assuming the latter, but it seems worth asking.
      >
      > Also, has anyone put together any COM specific doc for this
      > toolkit?
      > I understand that it is Perl first and foremost, but translating
      > from
      > the Perl man pages is a little rough -- there isn't even parameter
      > information in the DLL's typelib information.
      >
      > Thanks for your hard work, and for any info you can provide,
      > --Joe
      > jtoomey@...

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • Fisher, James
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 18, 2001
        Hi Paul and Joe...

        Paul...

        What is a UDT? A UDT is a user defined type..... Basically a class or
        struct if you will.

        Joe...

        I doubt that it would be easy to serialize say a VB UDT. C++ on the other
        hand.... I am sure someone with the right skills could do it. Nope, I dont
        know anyone that is doing this right now. A new feature of .NET is to be
        able to serialize a class into XML and from XML to a class. Wouldn't that
        be great right about now!

        JF