580Re: [soaplite] Autovivification issues w/ Perl 5.7

    Jul 5, 2001
      Hi, Igor!

      Thank you for the information. I did some tests for 5.7.1 and it
      seems like your point is absolutely valid, moreover, I think it was
      such intent to alter this behavior in 5.7.x. Anyway, I'll check the
      source code for places that might work incorrectly in 5.7 and thanks
      for the hint. Let me know if you find anything else.

      Best wishes, Paul.

      --- igorp@... wrote:
      > I've just installed SOAP::Lite 0.50 with Perl 5.7.0, and have
      > experienced several fatal errors, like "Use of uninitialized value"
      >
      > and "use an undefined value as a HASH reference". In addition,
      > parsing is messed up - Expat creates empty slot for any text
      > content,
      > so making "Hello world" example to be silent :)
      >
      > As far as I see, the reason is that 5.7 is somewhat more
      > restrictive
      > with autovivification of references, than 5.6. For instance, it
      > doesn't define it automatically in code like following:
      >
      > my $c;
      > for ($c) { $_->{key} = "value" }
      >
      > However, it still works in "direct" case:
      >
      > my $c;
      > $c->{key} = "value";
      >
      > In 5.6 both cases are valid.
      > I didn't check yet the status of this feature - perhaps, it is not
      > intended, and has to be fixed in next releases of Perl. Meanwhile,
      > explicit initialization helps with 5.7 and make no harm with 5.6:
      >
      > # SOAP::Parser
      > sub char { (shift->{_values}->[-1]->[3] ||= "") .= shift }
      >
      > # SOAP::Schema::WSDL
      > $services{$opername} ||= {};
      >

      > Igor Pechersky,
      > PictureVision, Inc.