4279SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon handle() sub ...

  • John Michael Zorko
    Dec 30, 2004
      Hello, all ...

      I need to be able to have SOAP servers that are able to do other things while waiting for
      SOAP calls. Yet, the handle() method for the SOAP::Transport::HTTP::Daemon waits on
      accept() and doesn't come back, in effect stopping the server from doing anything else
      until a SOAP call arrives. Instead of:

      $server->handle;

      I want:

      while ( $server->handle )
      {
      do_something_else();
      }

      ... yet I still want to run the server standalone (Transport::Daemon). My questions are:

      1. Is there something easy that I can do without subclassing SOAP::Transport::HTTP::
      Daemon? Forking a process that acted as a client to itself and calling a SOAP method to
      do_something_else() is out -- I tried that, and it worked, but it's just _so_ nasty and opens
      up all kinds of other possible bad things ...

      2. If no, then I want to use select() (or IO::Select()) to override the handle() method to make
      it non-blocking. Any insight on how to do this?

      Regards,

      John

      Falling You - exploring the beauty of voice and sound
      http://www.magnatune.com/artists/falling_you
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic