      From: Paul Kulchenko [mailto:paulclinger@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 12:46 PM
      To: soaplite@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [soaplite] Re: on_fault

      Hi, Ray!

      --- Ray Rizzuto <ray.rizzuto@...> wrote:
      > There's no perfect solution to error handling since it depends so
      > much on the application.  In my case, I am choosing to treat
      Unfortunately not only. It may depend on Server implementation also,
      though I tried hard to hide these details from you.
      Several situations are possible:
        1. 200 OK + SOAP message (normal result)
        2a. 500 Server Error + error message (not SOAP)
        2b. 400 Bad Method + error message (not SOAP)
        2c. 510 Not Extended + error message (not SOAP)
        3a. 500 Server Error + SOAP message (Fault result)
        3b. 400 Bad Method + SOAP message (Fault result)
        4. 200 OK + SOAP message (Fault result)

      2c will be handled by SOAP::Lite automatically (you won't see it, as
      well as redirect from server).
      3b and 4 are not allowed according to current spec., though there was
      long debates about using 1 and 4 instead of 1 and 3a.

      > 1) could you give more details on the parameters passed to the
      > fault handler? And also what the fault handler can return and how
      > that
      > is used?  It seems that what it returns is returned to the failed
      > call, but I'm not positive.

      First, on_fault will be called unless transport returned success.
      on_fault accepts two parameters: SOAP::Lite object and deserialized
      result (exactly as you would get it after $soap->mymethod() call).
      You may return this deserialized result or create your own and it'll
      become the result of call.
      In case you returned false (on_fault(sub{})) result of the call will
      be deserialized message as if on_fault wasn't call at all (no error
      handling).

      > 2) in one of the examples you provide, you are creating a new
      > SOAP::SOM to return from the fault handler:
      >
      >   use SOAP::Lite
      >     on_fault => sub { my($soap, $res) = @_;
      >       eval { die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail : $soap->transport-
      > >status };
      >       return ref $res ? $res : new SOAP::SOM;
      >     };
      >
      > If I could set the fault values in this new SOM, I would be able to
      > address errors uniformly after the original call.  Or am I
      > misunderstanding this code?
      No, you're not. You cannot assign it, but you may create new SOM
      object as result of deserialization:

      use SOAP::Lite
        on_fault => sub { my($soap, $res) = @_;
         eval { die ref $res ? $res->faultdetail : $soap->transport->status
      };
           return ref $res ? $res :
             $soap->deserializer->deserialize(
               $soap->serializer->fault('Server.Transport',
      $soap->transport->status));
         };

      print SOAP::Lite->proxy('http://localhost/')->mymethod->faultstring;

      > 3) in the above code, on a transport error @_ has 2 entries, but
      > the
      > second one seems to just have an empty string.  Is that the defined
      > behavior for a transport error?
      There should be deserialized message (if you got Fault response) OR
      content of the message (if message couldn't be deserialized, for
      example HTML code or some string with error message), so if you check
      and there is not refrence, you can be sure that it's pure transport
      error (and not SOAP Fault).

      Hope it helps.