3403question about base64 encoding

  • Mark Wilkinson
    Mar 4, 2004
      Hi all!

      Using SOAP::Lite on the client side, I have data which is being passed
      to me as:

      xsi:type = http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/base64

      and these are decoded automatically by SOAP::Lite. Wonderful! However,
      when data is passed to me as:

      xsi:type = http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema/base64Binary

      SOAP::Lite does not automatically decode it. This is surprising,
      because the definition of SOAP-ENC:base64 is:

      <xs:simpleType name="base64">
      <xs:restriction base="xs:base64Binary"/>
      </xs:simpleType>

      So the two really should be handled identically (or??).

      The same does *not* hold true for strings; data (in particular, escaped
      XML) with SOAP-ENC:string are de-escaped by SOAP::Lite on the receiving
      end, as are those encoded as xs:string - there is no (visible)
      difference in behaviour in these two cases.

      Am I missing something, or is this a bug in the way SOAP::Lite handles
      base64 data?

      Any advice appreciated!

      Mark

      --
      Mark Wilkinson (mwilkinson@...)
      University of British Columbia iCAPTURE Centre