3386Re: [soaplite] cookie problems

  • Byrne Reese
    Feb 25, 2004
      This has for so many people been a point of confusion about cookies... and not just for SOAP::Lite, but for web developers in general.

      According to Netscape's Cookie specification (http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html), the domain a cookie is appied to MUST have at least two decimals within it.

      Excerpt:
      domain=DOMAIN_NAME

      Only hosts within the specified domain can set a cookie for a domain and domains must have at least two (2) or three (3) periods in them to prevent domains of the form: ".com", ".edu", and "va.us". Any domain that fails within one of the seven special top level domains listed below only require two periods. Any other domain requires at least three. The seven special top level domains are: "COM", "EDU", "NET", "ORG", "GOV", "MIL", and "INT".

      Therefore most HTTP clients will often not set a cookie for an application deployed to "http://localhost/" for example... So if  you are doing test development, it is always advised that you create some virtualhosts like "http://test.localhost/"

      Anyway - that is why some cookies work and others don't.

      Eric Freed wrote:
      for example:
          my $endpoint = 'http://machinename/test';

      will not attach a cookie, but :

          my $endpoint = 'http://machinename.domain.com/test';

      will.

      I don't know why that is, and I suspect it is a HTTP::Cookies thing and
      not SOAP::Lite, but thanks

      -Eric

      --
      Eric Freed <efreed@...>