3279Re: [soaplite] Re: soap call - fire and forget

  • Byrne Reese
    Jan 8, 2004
      I apologize to spam the group with something vaguely commercial, but I
      feel this thread warrants it.

      Grand Central is a Web Services network (technically, we call ourselves a
      "Business Services Network" - but I am not going to mince words) - in any
      event, Grand Central offers the ability to turn any SOAP call into an
      asynchronous non-blocking one.

      Most SOAP calls are synchronous in nature: socket opens, request is sent,
      message is processes, response returned, socket closes. However, as this
      threads suggests, not all SOAP calls follow this pattern. Sometimes you
      just want to fire off a notification. Sometimes, the SOAP call is likely
      to take a long time and hanging up a thread, or socket for that long is
      impractical, sometimes you just want to fire and forget... Grand Central's
      asynchronous messaging protocol can be used with any service deployed on
      the network.

      In a very small way you can think of GC as a proxy. In an asynchronous
      scenario a message is posted to a service. The network accepts the
      messages, and immediately returns a tracking number (used for the response
      correlation later) to the sender. Mean while the message traverses the
      system and is delivered to the utlimate destination (in some cases the
      message is sent to multiple services when the service you are sending a
      message to invokes a business process - we all heard of SOAP
      intermediaries, Grand Central actually uses them!). When the response is
      returned, it is held by Grand Central, and the user then polls for it,
      much like you poll a POP3 mail server for email.

      Grand Central is free as long as your bandwidth is less than 25MB per
      month. And you have me as an excellent support resource. I have made sure
      there are lots of Perl/SOAP::Lite examples on the GC developer site. :)

      http://www.grandcentral.com/developers/

      > I have been trying to do something similar - in my case I want the end
      > user (thru a GUI) to be able to cancel the SOAP call - or at least
      > ignore what the call returns... I think the issue is that since
      > SOAP::Lite is using LWP to perform the HTTP communication, the process
      > waits until a return or timeout. Perhaps there is a way to configure
      > this??? I am experiementing with Perl 5.8.2 and using a separate
      > thread to make the SOAP call. I have also seen ways to spawn another
      > process to make the call so the main process is not stuck waiting
      > around - for Win32 there is a good example in the O'reilly Programming
      > Perl/Tk Book that goes out and gets comics and displays them back in
      > the TK UI - this does not use SOAP, but does use LWP and the concepts
      > work the same...
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
      >
      > To visit your group on the web, go
      > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/soaplite/