3257Re: [soaplite] Re: new to soap, cant seem to get it right

  • Tim Wood
    Dec 30, 2003
      At 01:27 PM 12/30/03, opus23k wrote:
      >OK so I got some useful information from Jonathan:
      >---------
      >Take a look at http://soapenv.org/article.pl?
      >sid=02/02/11/1740229&mode=thread
      >
      >Also, see Byrne Reese's website.
      >http://majordojo.com/soaplite/
      >---------
      >
      >These sites have helped but I'm still having some trouble getting
      >this right.
      >
      >So you can see the XML I'm trying to generate...

      SOAPbox: There seems to be a meta-problem with SOAP::Lite that's keeping from being as useful as it could be. Basically I and others are encountering fog where there should be a clear semantic model of what SOAP::Lite APIs have what effect on which SOAP messages. Clearly SOAP::Lite is a powerful package, but without a tutorial doc, or at very least a Javadoc-style API spec, it's very difficult to know how to use the package to get a desired result.

      The fact that we have to work at the level of SOAP message text and reading the SOAP::Lite code in order to guess what to do is a red flag. The possible highest priority for SOAP::Lite development is not more cool features but a comprehensive usage guide that covers major distributed programming patterns. Byrne's site has several Perls which need to be edited and collected into a volume. Ideally, one should be able to design and implement a Web service (with components in different languages/frameworks) without having to view SOAP messages or the SOAP::Lite code. The sooner SOAP becomes a hidden implementation detail, the more productive we'll all be.

      Now back to your regularly scheduled hacking.

      TW
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic