2623Re: [SOAP] Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite with autodispatch on perl 5.8.0

  • Mark Wilkinson
    May 19, 2003
      I've only ever heard it directly from Paul himself via this list. There
      should be quite a few references to it in the list archive.

      I also use dispatch_with on the server end, and ->call(procedure_name,
      %params) on the client end, rather than autodispatch,and this works just
      fine under perl 5.8

      good luck!

      Mark

      On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 10:54, ed-soaplite@... wrote: On Mon, May
      19, 2003 at 05:43:38PM +0100, Alasdair Allan wrote:
      > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book",
      thinking
      > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in
      "Programming
      > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the SOAP::Lite
      > docs themselves.

      I have the book, and poured over that pretty heavily as well. I don't
      remember
      seeeing it...but it was a long book. Still, this should be documented a
      bit more
      heavily since autodispatch is a very nice feature, and Perl 5.8.0 is the
      current/stable release of Perl.

      > There hasn't been a new SOAP::Lite release since April last year, and
      > think Perl 5.7.3 was the current distribution back then...

      So it's unlikely that autodispatch not working with Perl 5.8.0 is
      documented
      in the POD then.

      > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is something
      > thats starting to seriously worry me.

      Existing functionality that is broken and not documented as such is
      worrisome.
      It is working ok for me, but I'm using SOAP in a very simplistic
      fashion...
      which is nice.

      > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for
      something
      > thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services. Ho hum...

      Agreed on that. It's a great module, and the book is also wonderful. But
      this
      list has been a bit heavy on the question side in the 3 or 4 months I've
      been
      subscribed.

      //Ed

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      Click Here!

      |--==\
      Mark Wilkinson, Ph.D. \==-|
      Bioinformatics Consultant \=/ 0010010010100101110010
      Illuminae Media /-\
      727 6th Ave. N. /-==| 0010100100111101010010
      Saskatoon, SK, Canada |==-/
      S7K 2S8 \=/ 0100100100010010010101
      +1 (306) 373 3841 /\
      markw@... /=-\ 1101001010100101010101