2622Re: [soaplite] SOAP::Lite with autodispatch on perl 5.8.0

  • ed-soaplite@inkdroid.org
    May 19, 2003
      On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 05:43:38PM +0100, Alasdair Allan wrote:
      > You know, I think its anotehr case of having to "buy the book", thinking
      > about it a bit more, I'm now fairly sure I came across this in "Programming
      > Web Services with Perl" by Ray & Kulchenko, rather than the SOAP::Lite
      > docs themselves.

      I have the book, and poured over that pretty heavily as well. I don't remember
      seeeing it...but it was a long book. Still, this should be documented a bit more
      heavily since autodispatch is a very nice feature, and Perl 5.8.0 is the
      current/stable release of Perl.

      > There hasn't been a new SOAP::Lite release since April last year, and I
      > think Perl 5.7.3 was the current distribution back then...

      So it's unlikely that autodispatch not working with Perl 5.8.0 is documented
      in the POD then.

      > In fact, the lack of patches, bug fixes and new releases is something
      > thats starting to seriously worry me.

      Existing functionality that is broken and not documented as such is worrisome.
      It is working ok for me, but I'm using SOAP in a very simplistic fashion...
      which is nice.

      > A year is a heck of a long time without a new distribution for something
      > thats developing as fast as SOAP and web services. Ho hum...

      Agreed on that. It's a great module, and the book is also wonderful. But this
      list has been a bit heavy on the question side in the 3 or 4 months I've been
      subscribed.

      //Ed
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic