2012Re: beginner question.. global data with http::daemon

  • tgregory.rm
    Nov 5, 2002
      Paul,

      Thanks for the fast response.

      I scoped a variable globally in my demo package, and that worked
      perfectly. I noticed in the thread you pointed me to that you note
      that this approach would not work on a forking server. This leads me
      to 2 other questions:

      1) On win32 (AS 633,v5.6.1), it seems to me that the default behaviour
      for the HTTP::Daemon server is to handle requests one at a time. There
      is no multithreading or multiprocessing. Is this correct?

      (As an aside, I did attempt to get ForkAfterProcessing working, but it
      would hang after handling one request. I assumed this had something to
      do with fork emulation)

      2) Is there a win32 multithreaded server available? Or a higher
      performance server which would not make my data persistence issues
      more complicated?

      Thanks again,
      Trey

      > Hi Trey,
      >
      > > I would like to implement a cache (as a hash) that would be
      > > accessible
      > > to all instantiations of a given type of object. They would all
      > Shouldn't be difficult. Take a look at this thread:
      >
      > The key is singleton or file-scoped 'my $foo;'. Let me know if you
      > need more concrete example.
      >
      > Best wishes, Paul.
      >
      > --- "tgregory.rm" <tgregory@r...> wrote:
      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I just started using Soap::Lite and have the examples in the
      > > distribution up and running. I searched the archive for an answer
      > > my question, but didn't have any luck, so here goes.
      > >
      > > I would like to implement a cache (as a hash) that would be
      > > accessible
      > > to all instantiations of a given type of object. They would all
      > > need
      > > read/write access to the cache, as well see changes made by other
      > > instantiations. Basically, I just want a global cache that all
      > > instances can access. (I'm assuming there could be problems with
      > > concurrent access, but I figure that is my next problem)
      > >
      > > How would one go about doing this using http::daemon?
      > >
      > > Thanks for any help.
      > >
      > > Trey

      > HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now