1599Re: MAX_CONTENT_SIZE in SOAP::Lite

  • ritun2000
    Jun 8, 2002
      Hi Paul,

      Thanks a lot for your prompt response.

      I have three test cases here and varying responses:

      Case 1:
      The test was done by writing a client and running it thru the command
      line on a remote machine.
      This is the error i get on the server log, when i send data greater
      than 75000 bytes..

      [error] [client 192.168.2.2] Request content-length of 93369 is large
      r than the configured limit of 75000

      Further, this is the error on the SOAP client,
      413 Request Entity Too Large at\ ./testservice.pl line 50

      I do not understand where this has been configured.

      Case 2:
      When i try using a cgi program as a client from the same machine (and
      using the same server), the program works successfully for a very
      small amount of data..approx. 500 bytes only. After that, the cgi
      script just times out. I do not receive any response from the server,
      even if the data size is increased minimally. ( The processing happens
      on the server though, checked by printing messages in the logs.)

      Thus, you see, the permformance deteriorates badly in a CGI environment.

      Case 3:
      Here, I tried ran the command line client on the same machine as the
      server. Here, again the performance deteriorated. It worked for about
      5000 bytes of data, but after that the script dies with the following
      error:
      500 Read Timeout at testserviceon2.pl line 41

      The server log shows the following error in this case:
      [Premature end of script headers: outliner.cgi]

      Any pointers what could be going wrong?
      I have checked with the admin, and we have not made any configuration
      changes too. Further, all the machines used have good configurations.

      Regards,
      Ritu
      > Hi, Ritu!
      >
      > What do you mean by "does not process"? What errors are your getting?
      > There is no size limitations in SOAP::Lite and I've tested it with
      > the messages up to 5MB in length. You're mostly restricted by the
      > amount of available memory and complexity of your data structure.
      > MAX_CONTENT_SIZE variable allows you to limit the size of the message
      > for CGI transport, but it's switched off by default.
      >
      > Best wishes, Paul.
      >
      > --- ritun2000 <ritun2000@y...> wrote:
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > I just found through some trial and error that SOAP::LIte does
      > > not
      > > process data greater than 75000 bytes.
      > > I was trying to figure out, where this value has been set, but
      > > couldn't.
      > > I just found, the below line in SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
      > >
      > > } elsif (defined $SOAP::Constants::MAX_CONTENT_SIZE && $length >
      > > $SOAP::Constants::MAX_CONTENT
      > > _SIZE) {
      > > $self->response(HTTP::Response->new(413)) # REQUEST ENTITY TOO
      > > LARGE
      > > }
      > >
      > > Is it possible to increase the limit for data size? If yes, where
      > > do i
      > > define it.
      > > Further, will increasing the limit, make performance of the library
      > > suffer?
      > >
      > > Awaiting pointers..
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Ritu