Re: Inlined Schemas in WSDLs Question

  • Milan Boruvka
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 12, 2004
      --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Pete Hendry <peter.hendry@c...>
      wrote:

      I must say I have seen only *one* such WSDL. And it was
      written 'manually', not generated...

      I hope there is not tool generator producing this kind of WSDLs..

      Milan Boruvka
      milan.boruvka@...
    • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12, 2004
        Pete Hendry writes:

        >> The schema specification does not deal with this kind of situation because
        the specification is not written for embedded schemas within another type
        of document (such as wsdl).

        Actually, that's not true. The schema recommendation specifically says
        [1]:

        "Note: there will often be times when a schema document will be a complete
        XML 1.0 document whose document element is <schema>. There will be other
        occasions in which <schema> items will be contained in other documents,
        perhaps referenced using fragment and/or XPointer notation."

        Though it's not the most clearly written part of the schema
        recommendation, the fact is that processors are given great lattitude to
        find schema documents and other sources of schema declarations and
        definitions. This was done in part because we knew that systems like WSDL
        would arise with a need to carry <schema> elements and other forms of
        schema specifications in ways that we could not anticipate in detail.

        What is true is that the schema recommendation leaves it to the
        specification of languages like WSDL to set out exactly how schema
        documents or <schema> elements are to be brought together for a particular
        schema validation episode. I haven't ready WSDL 1.1 lately; WSDL 1.2
        seems to do a moderately careful job of setting out its rules, though I
        haven't rechecked the specific constructions proposed in this thread.

        In any case, XML schema allows lattitude exactly so that systems like WSDL
        will have the option to allow or disallow the constructions being debated
        here. Thank you.

        Noah

        [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PER-xmlschema-1-20040318/#schema-repr
        --------------------------------------
        Noah Mendelsohn
        IBM Corporation
        One Rogers Street
        Cambridge, MA 02142
        1-617-693-4036
        --------------------------------------
      • Jeehong Min
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 18, 2004
          I do not want to draw attention to the vendor, but I
          can say that it is a major Web App Server vendor whose
          server is generating such WSDLs. I have now seen 2
          such WSDLs from our customers and expect to see even
          more.

          I have been monitoring the activity at WS-I and WSDL
          working group, but it does not appear that a final
          decision is imminent regarding this issue.

          - Jeehong Min

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail