Re: [soapbuilders] SOAP Attachment - Database

  • Fred Hartman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2004
      marcusweden wrote:

      > Hi everyone!

      ...clip...
      > Can someone tell me:
      >
      > 1) Where I can find more information about the basic steps I have to
      > perform? As said, I will not develop the system myself, but present a
      > concept for how to do it. Haven't found any good information about
      > integrating a SOAP client in an ERP.

      Sorry all for this advertisement, but given that I am an employee of
      webMethods, I would use webMethods Integration Platform [1] with the
      appropriate ERP Adapter [2] and JDBC Adapter to provide integration from
      ERP systems to databases. This solution would not require IIS or a
      separate application server. The ERP Adapters often provide better
      integration to the ERP systems than the vendor's SOAP interfaces do, or
      the ERP SOAP interfaces are OEMed versions of webMethods products.

      [1] http://www.webmethods.com/meta/default/folder/0000003869

      [2] http://www.webmethods.com/meta/default/folder/0000003910

      > 2) if it's better to send a XML-file embed in the SOAP message or as
      > an attachment? The XML-file is quite small.

      The main reason to use SOAP with Attachments is to allow intermediaries
      to process the SOAP message (like looking at the headers) without
      requiring them to decode the attachment. If you are not going through an
      intermediary, sending the XML as the SOAP body makes life simpler and
      you don't lose anything.

      > 3) can this be considered a web service?

      I consider anything that can be defined by a WSDL and then accessed via
      SOAP messages that correspond to that WSDL as a web service.

      Cheers,
      Fred

    • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 16, 2004
        Fred Harman writes:

        > > 2) if it's better to send a XML-file embed in
        > > the SOAP message or as an attachment? The
        > > XML-file is quite small.
        >
        > The main reason to use SOAP with Attachments is to
        > allow intermediaries to process the SOAP message
        > (like looking at the headers) without requiring
        > them to decode the attachment.

        The W3C is well along toward issuing the MTOM [1], XOP[2] and
        Representation Header[3] technologies as W3C Recommendations. I believe
        these are likely, over time, to emerge as replacements for
        SOAP+Attachments in the marketplace. Most of the major SOAP vendors I
        know expect to provide support for these technologies in future products
        (NOTE: I should say for the record that this is not an official statement
        of support or a formal commitment to support these technologies in any
        products shipped by my employer, IBM; I can say that we have actively
        supported the development of these recommendations.) A well-optimized
        implementation of MTOM-enabled intermediares would provide for efficient
        inspection of headers, and XOP/MTOM provide for better unification of the
        file data into the model of the XML envelope.

        > If you are not going through an intermediary,
        > sending the XML as the SOAP body makes life
        > simpler and you don't lose anything.

        I believe that's an oversimplification, depending on the XML documents to
        be sent. In general, XML documents don't nest. For example, if the
        document to be transmitted has an internal subset DTD (I.e. a DTD in the
        document) you can't send it as a direct child of <soap:body>. If you need
        to preserve the encoding of your document (UTF-16 SHIF-JIS) and it's
        different from that of your envelope, then you also can't do a simple
        nesting. Same for documents with entity references, which for the most
        part are not allowed in the body of a soap envelope. For these reasons, a
        general solution for a document management system would be to use MTOM,
        perhaps with the new representation header, or if you prefer
        SOAP+Attachments as you suggest.

        Noah

        [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-mtom/
        [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xop10/
        [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-rep/

        --------------------------------------
        Noah Mendelsohn
        IBM Corporation
        One Rogers Street
        Cambridge, MA 02142
        1-617-693-4036

        Fred Hartman <fred.hartman@...>
        09/13/2004 03:43 PM
        Please respond to soapbuilders

        To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
        cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
        Subject: Re: [soapbuilders] SOAP Attachment - Database

        marcusweden wrote:

        > Hi everyone!

        ...clip...