SOAP Attachment - Database

  • marcusweden
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2004
      Hi everyone!

      I'm developing a concept for sending a XML-file to a database with
      SOAP. These XML-files are to be stored in the database and should
      also be available for other individuals to download. The XML-file to
      be sent comes from an ERP-system so the SOAP Client has to be
      integrated with the ERP-system. In SAP this can be done through BAPI,
      in Microsoft Exchange and Office through COM and DCOM, in Unix
      applications with COBRA and EJB with RMI.(or ?)
      I've found a lot of information in Internet about sending
      request/response messages to a web server, but not much information
      about sending SOAP messages with or without attachments to a database
      for storage. I'm not going to code the system myself, but present a
      concept. I was thinking about using a 4-Tier architecture looking
      like this:
      < 1. Presentation - a SOAP client >
      ------------------------------------------ Firewall
      < 2. Web server - Security measures - Microsoft Web Server IIS or
      Apache >
      ------------------------------------------ Firewall
      < 3. Application server - SOAP server - BEA WebLogic or IBM
      WebSpehere>
      < 4. Database - SQL>

      Is that ok? Suggestions are appreciated.

      Can someone tell me:

      1) Where I can find more information about the basic steps I have to
      perform? As said, I will not develop the system myself, but present a
      concept for how to do it. Haven't found any good information about
      integrating a SOAP client in an ERP.

      2) if it's better to send a XML-file embed in the SOAP message or as
      an attachment? The XML-file is quite small.

      3) can this be considered a web service?

      Thanks in advance!

      Marcus
    • Fred Hartman
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2004
        marcusweden wrote:

        > Hi everyone!

        ...clip...
        > Can someone tell me:
        >
        > 1) Where I can find more information about the basic steps I have to
        > perform? As said, I will not develop the system myself, but present a
        > concept for how to do it. Haven't found any good information about
        > integrating a SOAP client in an ERP.

        Sorry all for this advertisement, but given that I am an employee of
        webMethods, I would use webMethods Integration Platform [1] with the
        appropriate ERP Adapter [2] and JDBC Adapter to provide integration from
        ERP systems to databases. This solution would not require IIS or a
        separate application server. The ERP Adapters often provide better
        integration to the ERP systems than the vendor's SOAP interfaces do, or
        the ERP SOAP interfaces are OEMed versions of webMethods products.

        [1] http://www.webmethods.com/meta/default/folder/0000003869

        [2] http://www.webmethods.com/meta/default/folder/0000003910

        > 2) if it's better to send a XML-file embed in the SOAP message or as
        > an attachment? The XML-file is quite small.

        The main reason to use SOAP with Attachments is to allow intermediaries
        to process the SOAP message (like looking at the headers) without
        requiring them to decode the attachment. If you are not going through an
        intermediary, sending the XML as the SOAP body makes life simpler and
        you don't lose anything.

        > 3) can this be considered a web service?

        I consider anything that can be defined by a WSDL and then accessed via
        SOAP messages that correspond to that WSDL as a web service.

        Cheers,
        Fred

      • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 16, 2004
          Fred Harman writes:

          > > 2) if it's better to send a XML-file embed in
          > > the SOAP message or as an attachment? The
          > > XML-file is quite small.
          >
          > The main reason to use SOAP with Attachments is to
          > allow intermediaries to process the SOAP message
          > (like looking at the headers) without requiring
          > them to decode the attachment.

          The W3C is well along toward issuing the MTOM [1], XOP[2] and
          Representation Header[3] technologies as W3C Recommendations. I believe
          these are likely, over time, to emerge as replacements for
          SOAP+Attachments in the marketplace. Most of the major SOAP vendors I
          know expect to provide support for these technologies in future products
          (NOTE: I should say for the record that this is not an official statement
          of support or a formal commitment to support these technologies in any
          products shipped by my employer, IBM; I can say that we have actively
          supported the development of these recommendations.) A well-optimized
          implementation of MTOM-enabled intermediares would provide for efficient
          inspection of headers, and XOP/MTOM provide for better unification of the
          file data into the model of the XML envelope.

          > If you are not going through an intermediary,
          > sending the XML as the SOAP body makes life
          > simpler and you don't lose anything.

          I believe that's an oversimplification, depending on the XML documents to
          be sent. In general, XML documents don't nest. For example, if the
          document to be transmitted has an internal subset DTD (I.e. a DTD in the
          document) you can't send it as a direct child of <soap:body>. If you need
          to preserve the encoding of your document (UTF-16 SHIF-JIS) and it's
          different from that of your envelope, then you also can't do a simple
          nesting. Same for documents with entity references, which for the most
          part are not allowed in the body of a soap envelope. For these reasons, a
          general solution for a document management system would be to use MTOM,
          perhaps with the new representation header, or if you prefer
          SOAP+Attachments as you suggest.

          Noah

          [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-mtom/
          [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xop10/
          [3] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-rep/

          --------------------------------------
          Noah Mendelsohn
          IBM Corporation
          One Rogers Street
          Cambridge, MA 02142
          1-617-693-4036

          Fred Hartman <fred.hartman@...>
          09/13/2004 03:43 PM
          Please respond to soapbuilders

          To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
          cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
          Subject: Re: [soapbuilders] SOAP Attachment - Database

          marcusweden wrote:

          > Hi everyone!

          ...clip...