question about round 4 doc/lit request message structure

  • hoddys
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
      I'm trying to invoke a method from the doc/lit Round 4 web service
      and noticed that the "inputDecimal" node must be namespace qualified
      for the web service to understand the request message. When I
      namespace qualify the message I recieve the correct response message,
      if I do not namespace qualify then null is returned. Why must I
      namespace qualify the "inputDecimal" node?

      Thanks so much!

      Web Service:
      http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/xsd/round4xsd.asmx

      Request message without Namespace Qualification:
      <soap:Envelope
      xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/"
      <soap:Body>
      <s0:echoDecimal>
      <inputDecimal>41</inputDecimal>
      </s0:echoDecimal>
      </soap:Body>
      </soap:Envelope>

      Request message with Namespace Qualification:
      <soap:Envelope
      xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/"
      <soap:Body>
      <s0:echoDecimal>
      <s0:inputDecimal>41</s0:inputDecimal>
      </s0:echoDecimal>
      </soap:Body>
      </soap:Envelope>
    • Anish Karmarkar
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
        If you look at the WSDL located at:
        http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/xsd/round4xsd.asmx?WSDL

        The schema embedded in the WSDL makes the element 'inputDecimal'
        namespace-qualified ('cause it sets the attribute
        elementFormDefault='qualified' on the 'schema' element). Therefore it is
        necessary to namespace qualify 'inputDecimal'.

        -Anish
        --

        hoddys wrote:

        > I'm trying to invoke a method from the doc/lit Round 4 web service
        > and noticed that the "inputDecimal" node must be namespace qualified
        > for the web service to understand the request message. When I
        > namespace qualify the message I recieve the correct response message,
        > if I do not namespace qualify then null is returned. Why must I
        > namespace qualify the "inputDecimal" node?
        >
        > Thanks so much!
        >
        > Web Service:
        > http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/xsd/round4xsd.asmx
        >
        > Request message without Namespace Qualification:
        > <soap:Envelope
        > xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/"
        > xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
        > xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
        > <soap:Body>
        > <s0:echoDecimal>
        > <inputDecimal>41</inputDecimal>
        > </s0:echoDecimal>
        > </soap:Body>
        > </soap:Envelope>
        >

        > Request message with Namespace Qualification:
        > <soap:Envelope
        > xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/"
        > xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
        > xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
        > <soap:Body>
        > <s0:echoDecimal>
        > <s0:inputDecimal>41</s0:inputDecimal>
        > </s0:echoDecimal>
        > </soap:Body>
        > </soap:Envelope>

      • Wes Moulder
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
          Hoddys,

          If you look at the schema declaration for
          targetNamespace="http://soapinterop.org", it has an attribute
          elementFormDefault="qualified", which says (unless overridden by a form
          attribute on the element in
          question) the element must be qualified. Given that there is no such
          override on inputDecimal, it must
          be qualified. Note, however, that the default value for
          elementFormDefault is "qualified", so if that
          attribute isn't present, it must still be qualified as such.

          --Wes

          hoddys wrote:

          >I'm trying to invoke a method from the doc/lit Round 4 web service
          >and noticed that the "inputDecimal" node must be namespace qualified
          >for the web service to understand the request message. When I
          >namespace qualify the message I recieve the correct response message,
          >if I do not namespace qualify then null is returned. Why must I
          >namespace qualify the "inputDecimal" node?
          >
          >Thanks so much!
          >
          >Web Service:
          >http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/xsd/round4xsd.asmx
          >
          >Request message without Namespace Qualification:
          ><soap:Envelope
          > xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/"
          > xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
          > xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
          > <soap:Body>
          > <s0:echoDecimal>
          > <inputDecimal>41</inputDecimal>
          > </s0:echoDecimal>
          > </soap:Body>
          ></soap:Envelope>
          >

          >Request message with Namespace Qualification:
          ><soap:Envelope
          > xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/"
          > xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
          > xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
          > <soap:Body>
          > <s0:echoDecimal>
          > <s0:inputDecimal>41</s0:inputDecimal>
          > </s0:echoDecimal>
          > </soap:Body>
          ></soap:Envelope>

        • Anish Karmarkar
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
            Wes Moulder wrote:

            > Hoddys,
            >
            > If you look at the schema declaration for
            > targetNamespace="http://soapinterop.org", it has an attribute
            > elementFormDefault="qualified", which says (unless overridden by a form
            > attribute on the element in
            > question) the element must be qualified. Given that there is no such
            > override on inputDecimal, it must
            > be qualified. Note, however, that the default value for
            > elementFormDefault is "qualified", so if that
            > attribute isn't present, it must still be qualified as such.

            Actually, the default value for elementFormDefault is 'unqualified' [1].

            -Anish
            --

            [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#declare-schema

            > --Wes
            >
            > hoddys wrote:
            >

            >>I'm trying to invoke a method from the doc/lit Round 4 web service
            >>and noticed that the "inputDecimal" node must be namespace qualified
            >>for the web service to understand the request message. When I
            >>namespace qualify the message I recieve the correct response message,
            >>if I do not namespace qualify then null is returned. Why must I
            >>namespace qualify the "inputDecimal" node?
            >>
            >>Thanks so much!
            >>
            >>Web Service:
            >>http://mssoapinterop.org/asmx/xsd/round4xsd.asmx
            >>
            >>Request message without Namespace Qualification:
            >><soap:Envelope
            >> xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/"
            >> xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
            >> xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
            >> <soap:Body>
            >> <s0:echoDecimal>
            >> <inputDecimal>41</inputDecimal>
            >> </s0:echoDecimal>
            >> </soap:Body>
            >></soap:Envelope>
            >>

            >>Request message with Namespace Qualification:
            >><soap:Envelope
            >> xmlns:s0="http://soapinterop.org/"
            >> xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
            >> xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
            >> <soap:Body>
            >> <s0:echoDecimal>
            >> <s0:inputDecimal>41</s0:inputDecimal>
            >> </s0:echoDecimal>
            >> </soap:Body>
            >></soap:Envelope>

          • hoddys
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
              Thanks so much for the replies! By any chance could you recommend any
              books or sites that would help me understand the WSDL message
              structure?

              Thanks again!

              --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Anish Karmarkar

            • Jim Murphy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
                To understand this you have to know WSDL + XSD.

                I know of no really good authoritative reference for describing the WSDL
                aspects apart from the WSDL1.1 spec, the apache axis dev/user mailing
                lists and this one. Fortunately for doc/lit the envelope wrapping
                process and serialization options are simpler than soapenc. But, you
                should be aware of Wrapped Doc/lit as a common convention.

                For XSD I find "Definitive XML Schema" by Priscilla Walmsley good. [1]

                Jim Murphy
                Mindreef, Inc.

                [1] - http://www.datypic.com/books/DefXMLSchema/

              • Simon Horrell