Including hostname in faults

  • Steve Loughran
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17 10:02 AM
      You might be interested to know that Axis now/currently records the
      hostname that a soapfault got raised in, in a text element <hostname> in
      the NS http://xml.apache.org/axis/

      1. If a SOAPFault comes in with this already in the details, it is left
      as is.

      2. If a SOAPFault gets raised locally, it is given the name of the localhost

      3. If a SOAPFault comes in from somewhere else without a hostname, the
      local one is added.

      This is a hostname, not a FQDN or an IP address, and its aim in life is
      to make debugging large systems easier, not to make it easier for people
      to determine your network config through fault messages. So I will
      probably add (a) the ability to strip the hostname on sends/resends, and
      (b) the ability to use an alias for the hostnames, so when you know that
      you have a user complaining that 'host12' is failing, you know it is
      really the server called "lucky" that operations are scared of.

      For chaining to work properly, it is good if everyone used the same
      fault element for the same purpose. Therefore if anyone else wants to
      use the same technique -or already does so- we should agree to a common
      QName + semantics.

      Thoughts + comments welcome,

      -steve