SOAPMessage takes invalid SOAP namespaces

  • Karr, David
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2004
      (I tried to send this to the saaj-user list, but that appears to be
      inactive (bad sign?).)

      Is there any expectation that the
      "MessageFactory.createMessage(MimeHeaders headers,java.io.InputStream
      in)" method would complain if the SOAP message contained in the stream
      was an "invalid" SOAP message (as opposed to non-well-formed)? I see
      that the Javadoc specifies it could throw a SOAPException "if the
      message is invalid", but I'm wondering what that's supposed to mean.

      For instance, if the URI associated with the prefix on the Envelope
      element does not match the SOAP schema URI in the SOAP 1.1 note,
      shouldn't this be rejected?

      My testing with the SAAJ in WLS 8.1, which I believe is SAAJ 1.1.1
      (approximately) shows that it takes a message like that without
      complaint. Should it? The SOAP 1.1 Note says "... MUST discard
      messages that have incorrect namespaces.".

      What actual validation of the incoming message would cause the
      SOAPException to be thrown?
    • Anne Thomas Manes
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2004
        The SAAJ discussion list is users@....
        See https://saaj.dev.java.net/.

        Per the SOAP 1.1 spec, when a SOAP node receives a message with an invalid
        namespace URI for the SOAP Envelope, it must return a VersionMismatch SOAP
        Fault. I suggest you submit this as a bug to BEA.

        Anne

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 14, 2004

          Yeah, I know what the address is. It bounces when I send to it (even
          though I've been subscribed for a while). There's also been no notes on
          the list for 2 months (and only 15 ever).

          > Per the SOAP 1.1 spec, when a SOAP node receives a message
          > with an invalid namespace URI for the SOAP Envelope, it must
          > return a VersionMismatch SOAP Fault. I suggest you submit
          > this as a bug to BEA.

          I also noticed that the stock SAAJ implementation from Sun doesn't do
          this validation either. Even in JWSDP 1.3. I'll submit it anyway.
          Perhaps my grandchildren will see it fixed :) .