Re: VB6 Client to VB.NET WebService

  • Matt Janofsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
      Thanks Steve for your response. Yes, it is a legacy app that I am
      enhancing, thus the VB6. The SOAP interface is strickly for inhouse-
      intranet work and the SOAP server is a .NET webservice that I wrote
      and maintain. I'm not implementing a huge SOAP library in the public
      realm. I certainly understand your concerns.

      In the meantime, I'm going to followup on your other suggestions and
      see if I can make the MSSTK work.

      Thanks again,

      Matt

      --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Steve Loughran <steve_l@i...>
      wrote:

      > > Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:32:09 -0000
      > > From: "Matt Janofsky" <mxjanofsky@u...>
      > > Subject: VB6 Client to VB.NET WebService
      > >
      > > I've created a .NET webservice that I'd like to access from VB6
      > > clients. I've implemented a solution using Microsoft's SOAP
      > > Toolkit. Unfortunately, it is practically impossible to
      redistribute
      > > the SOAP toolkit. I'd like to write my own SOAP interface in
      VB6.
      > > Does anyone know of any VB6 source code that can do the job? Or
      does
      > > anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at PocketSOAP but I
      think
      > > I'd rather do something myself. I'm trying to simply the
      > > redistribution process.
      >
      > So lets see if I am getting this right.
      >
      > You want to simplify your distribution process, so you want to
      write a
      > complete SOAP client that you can include with your VB6 app.
      Presumably,
      > in VB itself?
      >
      > I would strongly encourage you not to do this. This is not a good
      enough
      > reason to undertake the effort required to produce a functional
      SOAP
      > implementation, where functionality includes areas such as interop,
      > section 5 encoding, correct mustUnderstand behaviour on headers,
      failure
      > modes, etc, etc. Even the mainstream SOAP implementations have
      *issues*
      > which are so fundamental they are terrifying. For example, the
      Apache
      > Axis self tests dont work on my machine when its clock is set to
      GMT
      > -times sent to itself come up an hour out. Yet they work in the US.
      If