VB6 Client to VB.NET WebService

  • Matt Janofsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2004
      I've created a .NET webservice that I'd like to access from VB6
      clients. I've implemented a solution using Microsoft's SOAP
      Toolkit. Unfortunately, it is practically impossible to redistribute
      the SOAP toolkit. I'd like to write my own SOAP interface in VB6.
      Does anyone know of any VB6 source code that can do the job? Or does
      anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at PocketSOAP but I think
      I'd rather do something myself. I'm trying to simply the
      redistribution process.

      Thanks,

      Matt
    • Matt Janofsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
        Well, I resolved it myself.

        My solution is to use MSXML and instantiate an XMLHTTP object. It's
        not as simple as implementing SOAP with the toolkit, but I don't have
        to distribute anything. MSXML comes with IE and all of our users are
        already required to have IE 6.0 installed. I have to build the HTTP
        headers and SOAP XML, but distribution is a breeze.

        Matt

        --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Janofsky"
        <mxjanofsky@u...> wrote:
        > I've created a .NET webservice that I'd like to access from VB6
        > clients. I've implemented a solution using Microsoft's SOAP
        > Toolkit. Unfortunately, it is practically impossible to
        redistribute
        > the SOAP toolkit. I'd like to write my own SOAP interface in VB6.
        > Does anyone know of any VB6 source code that can do the job? Or
        does
        > anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at PocketSOAP but I think
        > I'd rather do something myself. I'm trying to simply the
        > redistribution process.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Matt
      • Steve Loughran
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
          > Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:32:09 -0000
          > From: "Matt Janofsky" <mxjanofsky@...>
          > Subject: VB6 Client to VB.NET WebService
          >
          > I've created a .NET webservice that I'd like to access from VB6
          > clients. I've implemented a solution using Microsoft's SOAP
          > Toolkit. Unfortunately, it is practically impossible to redistribute
          > the SOAP toolkit. I'd like to write my own SOAP interface in VB6.
          > Does anyone know of any VB6 source code that can do the job? Or does
          > anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at PocketSOAP but I think
          > I'd rather do something myself. I'm trying to simply the
          > redistribution process.

          So lets see if I am getting this right.

          You want to simplify your distribution process, so you want to write a
          complete SOAP client that you can include with your VB6 app. Presumably,
          in VB itself?

          I would strongly encourage you not to do this. This is not a good enough
          reason to undertake the effort required to produce a functional SOAP
          implementation, where functionality includes areas such as interop,
          section 5 encoding, correct mustUnderstand behaviour on headers, failure
          modes, etc, etc. Even the mainstream SOAP implementations have *issues*
          which are so fundamental they are terrifying. For example, the Apache
          Axis self tests dont work on my machine when its clock is set to GMT
          -times sent to itself come up an hour out. Yet they work in the US. If
          that is the kind of intraop problem production code is having, home
          rolled stuff will be worse.

          If MSSTK is no good, spend more time with PocketSoap, or some money on
          an installer. You can get an installer add on for the version of visual
          studio that comes w/ VB6 from somewhere on MSDN, I think, that can
          incorporate .MSI files from third parties for better installation.

          -Steve

          ps, I wont even ask why VB6. I assume it is some legacy application
          issue and that you have not been overcome with the urge to use VB6 as
          the basis for new apps...
        • Matt Janofsky
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2004
            Thanks Steve for your response. Yes, it is a legacy app that I am
            enhancing, thus the VB6. The SOAP interface is strickly for inhouse-
            intranet work and the SOAP server is a .NET webservice that I wrote
            and maintain. I'm not implementing a huge SOAP library in the public
            realm. I certainly understand your concerns.

            In the meantime, I'm going to followup on your other suggestions and
            see if I can make the MSSTK work.

            Thanks again,

            Matt

            --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Steve Loughran <steve_l@i...>