SOAP Question

  • riffin_13
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 16, 2004
      Hi,

      I was wondering if someone could help me with this question.

      I have been trying to find information on how to use web services
      that pass a set of data as a recordset or in some format. I am
      trying to write an application that will be working through IIS and
      Apache web servers. The data will be coming from the Apache web
      server and the client will either be written as a PHP page or as a
      Java servlet.

      The data is submitted from a form submission on the Apache server and
      is being sent to the IIS server as a SOAP message for insertion into
      a FoxPro database.

      We would like to use VB .NET and FoxPro 8.0 as our development tools
      for our SOAP object on the Microsoft side. However, I do not want to
      have to have to implement a method with all the necessary parameters
      for the data to be submitted into the system. In a COM environment I
      could just pass the Recordset to the method and have it do its job.
      Can this be done through SOAP as well? Can this be done through a
      system running Apache to a Microsoft System.

      Any help you can provide me with this question would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Sincerely.

      Wayne Morris
    • Steve Loughran
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2004
        > Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:34:54 -0000
        > From: "riffin_13" <wmorris@...>
        > Subject: SOAP Question
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > I was wondering if someone could help me with this question.
        >
        > I have been trying to find information on how to use web services
        > that pass a set of data as a recordset or in some format. I am
        > trying to write an application that will be working through IIS and
        > Apache web servers. The data will be coming from the Apache web
        > server and the client will either be written as a PHP page or as a
        > Java servlet.
        >
        > The data is submitted from a form submission on the Apache server and
        > is being sent to the IIS server as a SOAP message for insertion into
        > a FoxPro database.
        >
        > We would like to use VB .NET and FoxPro 8.0 as our development tools
        > for our SOAP object on the Microsoft side. However, I do not want to
        > have to have to implement a method with all the necessary parameters
        > for the data to be submitted into the system. In a COM environment I
        > could just pass the Recordset to the method and have it do its job.
        > Can this be done through SOAP as well? Can this be done through a
        > system running Apache to a Microsoft System.

        There is a representation of ADO.net's ResultSet object, but I think
        only the .NET systems will handle it.

        Best to come up with your own datatypes/XML message format for
        representing the results and manually marshall the stuff in to it. It is
        extra work, but it is the only approach that makes sense in the long run.

        See : The wondrous curse of interop
        http://www.iseran.com/Steve/papers/interop/ . There is also an MS press
        book on .NET/Java interop, that I havent seen but which sounds pretty good.

        -Steve