Whitespaces in XML specially in SOAP Body

  • saikat.saha@commerceone.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13, 2004
      Hello,

      We have observed that various soap processors behave differently in
      regard to the whitespaces within soap envelope which has caused some
      interoperation issues and I believe this is a widely discussed issue.

      Soap 1.2 Message Normalization
      http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-soap12-n11n-20031008/ does mention in
      section 3 as below
      Whitespace character information items that are children of the SOAP
      Envelope , Header , Fault , Code , Subcode , Value , Reason , Node and
      Role element information items are removed.

      However this does not address Soap Body. Can anybody please help me in
      finding how it should be handled when it comes to whitespaces inside
      soapbody?

      Best Regards,
      Saikat
    • Jacek Kopecky
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2004
        Saikat,

        whitespace in SOAP Body is considered significant by SOAP and therefore
        can only be changed by the actual application. I think the issue here is
        more about the understanding of what WSDL has to say with regards to
        whitespace in the Body (since WSDL defines the Body). I'll raise this
        issue in the W3C's WS-Description working group.

        Best regards,

        Jacek Kopecky

        Systinet Corporation
        http://www.systinet.com/

        On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 00:55, saikat.saha@... wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > We have observed that various soap processors behave differently in
        > regard to the whitespaces within soap envelope which has caused some
        > interoperation issues and I believe this is a widely discussed issue.
        >
        > Soap 1.2 Message Normalization
        > http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-soap12-n11n-20031008/ does mention in
        > section 3 as below
        > Whitespace character information items that are children of the SOAP
        > Envelope , Header , Fault , Code , Subcode , Value , Reason , Node and
        > Role element information items are removed.
        >
        > However this does not address Soap Body. Can anybody please help me in
        > finding how it should be handled when it comes to whitespaces inside
        > soapbody?
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Saikat

      • Jacek Kopecky