soap testing with java/tools

  • Shivanjali
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 21, 2003
      HI,
      I am new to soap.
      I want to test a soap message which I have – if it' sending properly
      and receiving correctly. Example could be a stock quote sent with
      company string and receiving the string with stock quote. Please let
      me know if there's possibility to do with HttpUnit or any other open
      source automation tool? Please send me proper links.
    • David McCaw
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
        Hi Shivanjali,

        If you're looking for an open source tool that can accomplish that
        kind of testing, you may want to look into JUnit. More info on
        Junit can be found at http://www.junit.org If you're looking to do
        more comprehensive testing of your web service, I'd recommend you
        take a look into Parasoft's SOAPtest. You can get more info and a
        trial at http://www.parasoft.com/soaptest.

        -David

        --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "Shivanjali" <bhutkar@c...>
        wrote:
        > HI,
        > I am new to soap.
        > I want to test a soap message which I have – if it' sending
        properly
        > and receiving correctly. Example could be a stock quote sent with
        > company string and receiving the string with stock quote. Please
        let
        > me know if there's possibility to do with HttpUnit or any other
        open
        > source automation tool? Please send me proper links.
      • Steve Loughran
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
          soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:08:59 -0000
          > From: "David McCaw" <dmccaw@...>
          > Subject: Re: soap testing with java/tools
          >
          > Hi Shivanjali,
          >
          > If you're looking for an open source tool that can accomplish that
          > kind of testing, you may want to look into JUnit. More info on
          > Junit can be found at http://www.junit.org If you're looking to do
          > more comprehensive testing of your web service, I'd recommend you
          > take a look into Parasoft's SOAPtest. You can get more info and a
          > trial at http://www.parasoft.com/soaptest.
          >
          > -David
          >
          > --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "Shivanjali" <bhutkar@c...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >>HI,
          >>I am new to soap.
          >>I want to test a soap message which I have – if it' sending
          >
          > properly
          >
          >>and receiving correctly. Example could be a stock quote sent with
          >>company string and receiving the string with stock quote. Please
          > let
          >>me know if there's possibility to do with HttpUnit or any other
          > open
          >>source automation tool? Please send me proper links.

          1. you can do basic testing with HttpUnit over Junit, but only to probe
          the HTTP aspects of a service (like its status pages).

          2. Axis will autogenerate JUnit test cases for a service -just hand the
          WSDL to the Wsdl2Java program and ask for client side with tests. You
          get to flesh them out with real parameters and result checking.

          3. If you want to test interop, you could use .NET's WSDL.EXE tool and
          then write your own NUnit tests, tests you can call from ant. Ant1.7
          lets you inline NAnt or MSBuild build files for exactly this kind of
          thing, and Ant also has wrappers <WsdlToDotnet> and <CSC> to build .NET
          code from WSDL.

          4. Ovidiu Predescu and others have a source forge project. Anteater
          http://aft.sourceforge.net/, which is good for functional testing of
          services without you coding in Java -you declare the XML message to send
          then make assertions about return codes and xpath values in the
          response. I havent used it, but have a lot of respect for Ovidiu and
          expect it to be very good.

          -steve
        • shivan
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2003
            Hi,
            The requirements are:
            I am looking for doing end to end functional testing.
            I think using JUnit we can do only unit testing for each class, if i am right.
            I want to use open source tools for automation of these tests.

            given are:
            1> wsdl
            2>soap message in xml.
            which is best api to parse this xml file(soap message) and send over and get the response soap back?

            thanks

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2004
              Hi Shivan,

              SOAPtest gives you the ability to do end to end testing, from WSDL
              validation, to invoking the individual WS operations and validating
              the response, to invoking multiple operations in sequence. It also
              does regression testing and load testing. Take a look at the link
              in my first response if you need more information.

              Thanks,
              David

              of Service.
            • SquareSail
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2004

                Has anyone successfully used SOAL::Lite as a client to a Borland Delphi server?

                Thanks - Dave

                Captain David Snellen
                www.gypsyrover.com