New To Group, What Brings Me Here

  • Christopher Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hello all,

      I was referred to this group from a link on soaplite.com

      I'm wondering... does anybody use the built-in "Chat" feature included with this Yahoo! Group?
      Unfortunately, I'm unable to check from where I am currently (I am behind a picky firewall).

      If not, does anybody here use any Instant Messaging clients? I'd be interested in "speaking" in
      "real time" to an experienced SOAP application developer about my current venture.

      I'm putting together a system where some clients (written with Visual Basic .NET) will be
      communicating with my central server system (written with Perl, using SOAP::Lite). I will also
      have a client on my server system in the form of a dynamically updating Web page, monitoring the
      network's SOAP traffic, updated using Server Push. All of my data is being stored in a MySQL
      database on the server (WinXP, Apache) and will need to be shown on this page.

      Does anybody have any recommendations I should pay heed to while jumping into this project? I
      purchased "Programming Web Services with Perl", by Randy J. Ray and Pavel Kulchenko to aid me in
      writing the client and server aspects on my central server system. I'm almost hoping the VB
      .NET-based client will sort of "fall into place". Any good books I should get for interfacing with
      a non-.NET server with VB .NET?

      I'm looking forward to my future interactions with those on this list. Thank you all for giving me
      this opportunity.

      =====
      Christopher Parker <cparker@...>

      Don't ignore spam. Protect your rights and report it by forwarding your spam mail (with full headers) to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission <uce@...>.