Java Interoperability Issue - Using Abstract Classes as Parameter s in .NET Web Service

  • Raj Patel
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2003

      All,

      I wonder if anyone can help/advise with the following interoperability issue we are encountering?

      We have a .NET web service that takes an abstract type as parameter. Using it from a .net client works OK. However calling the method from a java client (Websphere 5.0) we see the following error being thrown on the call to the method.

      System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (4, 94).

      System.InvalidOperationException: The specified type is abstract: name=Key

      The method signature is as follows:

      public string GetData(Key key)

      ...where Key is an abstract class.

      As a test, in the wsdl for the web service I manually removed the Abstract=true attribute for the Key class definition before generating the java proxy for the service, but this had no effect.

      Note: we do not explicitly set the attribute SOAPDocumentMethod on the web service and so use the default settings

      Thanks,

      Raj Patel

      Senior Technology Consultant, Central Technology Team

      RebusIS

      120 Leman St

      London E1 8EU

      Direct:   +44 207 661 4233

      Fax:      +44 207 661 1181

      Email:   raj.patel@...

      Web:    http://www.rebusis.com

      The information in this e-mail and any attachment(s) is confidential and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.

      Rebus Insurance Systems Limited

      Registered No. 508212 England

      Registered Office: Suffolk House, 102-108 Baxter Avenue Southend-on-Sea, SS2 6JP.

    • Techno Buns
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2003
        The following article does describe the problem i.e.
        pass polymorphic arguments to a WebMethod.

        http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/02/20/endpoints.html

        Please read the section under �Type casting�

        This should help...

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree