Apache Axis vs. Sun JWSDP

  • MartinKB
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2003
      I am developing an interface between a new C#.NET client, and a Java
      Servlet/JSP server application (Tomcat and JRun). The purpose of the
      interface to to register for and receive reports, over the Internet.

      I am coding the C# client now, and prototyping the server side in C#
      as well. The next step is to implement the real web service on the
      Java app server.

      The question: for the server side, Apache Axis or Sun WSDP?

      Martin
    • Steve Loughran
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
        > Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 20:34:53 -0000
        > From: "MartinKB" <martinkb@...>
        > Subject: Apache Axis vs. Sun JWSDP
        >
        > I am developing an interface between a new C#.NET client, and a Java
        > Servlet/JSP server application (Tomcat and JRun). The purpose of the
        > interface to to register for and receive reports, over the Internet.
        >
        > I am coding the C# client now, and prototyping the server side in C#
        > as well. The next step is to implement the real web service on the
        > Java app server.
        >
        > The question: for the server side, Apache Axis or Sun WSDP?

        Alternate question why not stick with the same language on both ends? It
        makes dev easier, and if you have W2K3 server around you have already
        paid for your app server anyway.

        Axis runs on top of any Java app server (servlets 2.3), though BEA is
        intermittently trouble. It comes with source, instead of much in the way
        of documentation. What documentation there is assumes you know what you
        are doing and sneers at the weak. It has a nice WSDL to JUnit feature
        that can be used to test any implementation of a service. And because
        you can integrate it inside your WAR file, you retain control of
        versioning, get uniformity across systems, etc etc. As it supports DIME
        it also lets you upload big binaries from C# land. But it is kind of
        large, bits of the code are scary in places (long files with no
        comments, not much review and too many TODO comments), and you have to
        be self-sufficient to go into production with it. Because it is free,
        you can install it widely at minimal cost. JBoss 4 ships with some
        version of Axis built in, though that version just causes trouble to
        people who include their own version of Axis. (Disclaimer, my code is
        Axis, and wrote the bit of the docs that sneers at the weak)

        The JWSDP is a kind of 'not for production' bundle from Sun. They want
        to intro Web Services to you, but expect you to pony up the cash for a
        real Application server before you go live. So while you can get a dev
        system up and running quickly, it is not clear if you can go into
        production with it. There are lots of docs, though they all blissfully
        ignore interoperability with other platforms, to the extent of
        pretending that unsigned data types do not exist, so that the
        implementations lack of support for such types doesnt matter. You may be
        able to get support from Sun for the pack, though they say on the web
        site you should get the Sun App server for a "fully supported,
        enterprise class" product. A large amount of the pack is actually Apache
        product (Tomcat, Ant, Xerces, Xindice), so not only are you left
        resorting to the same support process as Axis, the Apache groups avoid
        supporting stuff that Sun reship on the basis that Sun have changed it
        in places, and it is thus impossible to deal with. So the first response
        to any support call is "download the latest release of our build".There
        is no DIME support in JWSDP, I believe (Disclaimer, my Ant code ships
        with this)

        There are also third party Java SOAP implementations, which are built to
        a high standard, come with support, etc etc, from vendors like The Mind
        Electric, Cape Clear, and others. If you have a limited run of servers,
        expect to need some help getting it working want a secure/robust/high
        performance solution, these are products to seriously consider.
        Certainly I would look at them before touching the JWSDP :)

        -steve