Setting up XP to run SOAP for the first time.

  • Steve Loughran
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2003

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:44:08 -0000
      > From: "boxingstar" <boxingstar@...>
      >
      > Hi, I'm fresh-out-of-the-box, so-to-say, when it comes to SOAP. I've
      > ordered a book from Amazon, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive.
      > Okay, I have Windows XP Professional installed. And I've downloaded
      > and installed Apache Tomcat 4.1.27 and Apache Axis 1.1 (I'm not
      > going to be using .Net or anything like that). Can someone tell me
      > step-by-step exactly what I should do to set this machine up to run
      > SOAP? I've tried following examples on web sites but they aren't
      > very clear- they make too many assumptions. Like I said, I'm very
      > new to this. Do I need to do classpath modifications, etc.?
      > Oh, I think I should mention, too, that I've got JBuilder 9
      > Enterprise installed as well. Thanks- any help is appreciated.
      >
      > -Yves

      1. follow the instructions in docs/install.html in your axis distribution.

      http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/ws-axis/java/docs/install.html

      Pay particular attention to the 'thing you have to know' corner.

      2. if things dont work, follow the 'what if it doesnt work' section in
      those docs. It says 'dont mail soapbuilders' for a reason :)

      http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/ws-axis/java/docs/install.html#broken

      Also, you might actually find the .net SOAP implementation -dare I say
      it- easier to use. They dont have a big 'things you need to know' page
      at the beginning of their docs, but that may just be because they didnt
      want to scare you. Team Axis know that you will have to be mostly
      self-sufficient, and want a minimum level of competence before you write
      your enterprise-class XML-based distributed application.

      -Steve