handling of non-XML chars in S13n of strings?

  • Steve Loughran
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 9:38 AM
      As of two weeks ago, Axis now throws an exception whenever it is told to
      marshall an illegal XML char, specifically anything <32 'cept for \n \r
      and \t.

      Which introduces a new problem: what to do when users expect their
      strings to get serialized over the wire when those strings have
      characters that are unicode legal, but XML illegal? And what do they
      expect when the s13n is provided by the built in java class<->XML mapping?

      The Axis1.1 implementation sticks the illegal chars on the wire and lets
      the recipient deal with them (oops!). Axis CVS tells the sender to stop it.

      But what if they want to send XML-illegal chars? That could be supported
      with base-64 encoding -we just need to make that a per-field
      configurable option.

      Before anything that drastic gets done, I would like to know what
      everyone else does when somebody delegates to their framework the
      marshalling of a string that is not XML-legal

      Is it
      (a) dont know
      (b) send illegal XML
      (c) fail the marshalling
      (d) other (what? Make a call to ::SetSystemPowerState() and switch off
      the PC for an illegal action? /sbin/shutdown -t 0 "Illegal string" ?)

      -Steve