Faults and GET

  • Steve Loughran
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003

      > Message: 4
      > Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:48:46 -0400
      > From: Mark Baker <distobj@...>
      > Subject: Faults and GET
      >
      > I seem to be unable to send messages to axis-dev, but I suspect that the
      > issue I'm raising here for Axis, is relevant to the broader SOAP
      > community. So I hope you don't mind that I'm sending it here.

      axis-dev only takes messages from subscribers. Are you registered?

      > ==snip==
      >
      > I've had a look through the Axis 1.1 RC2 API, but I can't find where I
      > can look to determine whether a SOAP fault that was received in response
      > to a HTTP GET invocation, was returned over 2xx or 4xx/5xx. I need to
      > know this (*) in my soon-to-be-app, because I have a need to send SOAP
      > faults around as regular content.
      >
      > Am I missing it, or is it not there? After looking through some of the
      > APIs, even the foundational ones like javax.xml.soap.SOAPMessage, I
      > expect that the answer is "not there", as it doesn't seem to make the
      > distinction.

      Fixing up reporting of HTTP error codes is one thing I'd like to see in
      Axis1.2. To date any HTTP error code maps to an AxisFault, but the error
      code is only retained in the error text, and so not actionable. Ideally
      the should be an HttpFault subclass of AxisFault, or we could just add
      an HttpErrorCode element to the XML elements under an AxisFault.

      > Thanks.
      >
      > (*) well, perhaps not the exact HTTP code, but at least whether the
      > response has SOAP fault semantics or not

      Well, add it to the 1.2 codebase if you really need it:)