Faults and GET

  • Mark Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2003
      I seem to be unable to send messages to axis-dev, but I suspect that the
      issue I'm raising here for Axis, is relevant to the broader SOAP
      community. So I hope you don't mind that I'm sending it here.

      ==snip==

      I've had a look through the Axis 1.1 RC2 API, but I can't find where I
      can look to determine whether a SOAP fault that was received in response
      to a HTTP GET invocation, was returned over 2xx or 4xx/5xx. I need to
      know this (*) in my soon-to-be-app, because I have a need to send SOAP
      faults around as regular content.

      Am I missing it, or is it not there? After looking through some of the
      APIs, even the foundational ones like javax.xml.soap.SOAPMessage, I
      expect that the answer is "not there", as it doesn't seem to make the
      distinction.

      Thanks.

      (*) well, perhaps not the exact HTTP code, but at least whether the
      response has SOAP fault semantics or not

      MB
      --
      Mark Baker. Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA. http://www.markbaker.ca
    • Steve Loughran
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2003

        > Message: 4
        > Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:48:46 -0400
        > From: Mark Baker <distobj@...>
        > Subject: Faults and GET
        >
        > I seem to be unable to send messages to axis-dev, but I suspect that the
        > issue I'm raising here for Axis, is relevant to the broader SOAP
        > community. So I hope you don't mind that I'm sending it here.

        axis-dev only takes messages from subscribers. Are you registered?

        > ==snip==
        >
        > I've had a look through the Axis 1.1 RC2 API, but I can't find where I
        > can look to determine whether a SOAP fault that was received in response
        > to a HTTP GET invocation, was returned over 2xx or 4xx/5xx. I need to
        > know this (*) in my soon-to-be-app, because I have a need to send SOAP
        > faults around as regular content.
        >
        > Am I missing it, or is it not there? After looking through some of the
        > APIs, even the foundational ones like javax.xml.soap.SOAPMessage, I
        > expect that the answer is "not there", as it doesn't seem to make the
        > distinction.

        Fixing up reporting of HTTP error codes is one thing I'd like to see in
        Axis1.2. To date any HTTP error code maps to an AxisFault, but the error
        code is only retained in the error text, and so not actionable. Ideally
        the should be an HttpFault subclass of AxisFault, or we could just add
        an HttpErrorCode element to the XML elements under an AxisFault.

        > Thanks.
        >
        > (*) well, perhaps not the exact HTTP code, but at least whether the
        > response has SOAP fault semantics or not

        Well, add it to the 1.2 codebase if you really need it:)