Re: [soapbuilders] Will SOAP envelope always have a xml declaration?

  • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2003
      In SOAP 1.2, the answer is that each protocol binding is responsible for
      specifying how the xml will look "on the wire", and that includes whether
      to use an xml 1.x serialization and if whether the xml declaration is
      allowed, required, or forbidden, and if present how the Encoding
      Declaration is interpreted (presumably in a manner compatible with the xml
      1.x recommendation.)

      The SOAP 1.2 Candidate Recommendation has an HTTP binding that requires
      support for Media Type application/soap+xml [1, 2]. That in turn
      specifies that the format must be the same as for application/xml, which
      is RFC 3023 [3]. My reading is that this allows but does not require the
      XML declaration, but it further makes clear that if a charset parameters
      is provided in a Content-type header, the charset parameter wins over
      whatever might be specified in the XML declaration. So, that's my reading
      of the behavior for the HTTP binding in SOAP 1.2.

      [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-soap12-part2-20030507/#httpmediatype
      [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/PR-soap12-part2-20030507/#ietf-draft
      [3] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3023.txt

      Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
      IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
      One Rogers Street
      Cambridge, MA 02142

      Rich Salz <r.salz@...>
      06/24/2003 01:15 AM
      Please respond to soapbuilders

      To: Simon Fell <ws@...>
      cc: "soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com" <soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com>, (bcc: Noah
      Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
      Subject: Re: [soapbuilders] Will SOAP envelope always have a xml declaration?

      > Nope, there's no requirement that a SOAP envelope must have an xml
      > declaration. In the case of SOAP 1.1's HTTP transport, the encoding is
      > controlled via the charset attribute on the content-type header (and
      > to be fully compliant with the spec, this should override any encoding
      > indicated in the xml decl). In other cases, normal XML defaulting
      > rules for the encoding apply. (the mechanics of which are detailed in
      > the xml 1.0 spec)

      I think this is mostly right. The key point is that since a SOAP message
      is an XML document, you can omit the XML declaration and the usual
      defaults apply.

      If transmitting SOAP over HTTP, however, the Content-Type, in particular
      the charset value, must agree with the SOAP (XML) message. The two are
      not supposed to be in conflict. This means that you will almost always
      omit the XML decl, and default to XML 1.0 utf-8, but then need a C-T
      header that gets the charset right.