RE: [soapbuilders] Re: WS-I Testing Tool

  • Saha, Saikat
    Message 1 of 7 , May 22, 2003
      RE: [soapbuilders] Re: WS-I Testing Tool

      Hi,

      Thanks for the clarification and I completely agree with what you said below. Please allow me to repharse my question,

      My current web service url is http://xyz.commerceone.com:9999/buyerapp/orderservlet
      My MITM is listening to 4040

      1. The client sends the message to http://localhost:4040
      2. How would the monitor configuration look like
      <wsi-monConfig:listenPort>4040</wsi-monConfig:listenPort>
      > <wsi-monConfig:schemeAndHostPort>What should be here</wsi-
      > monConfig:schemeAndHostPort>
      3. When client sends the message to http://localhost:4040, destination address is http://localhost:4040 for the original request, isn't it MITM's responsibility to just redirect the original message to the actual url based on coniguration? If it takes just host and port, where does it get the url from?

      I am sorry, I am still missing something.

      Regards,
      Saikat

      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2003
        Inline

        <saikat.saha@c...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Please allow me to repharse my question,
        >
        > My current web service url is
        > http://xyz.commerceone.com:9999/buyerapp/orderservlet
        > My MITM is listening to 4040
        >
        > 1. The client sends the message to http://localhost:4040
        [jw]Client should be sending the message to
        http://localhost:4040/buyerapp/orderservlet

        > 2. How would the monitor configuration look like
        > <wsi-monConfig:listenPort>4040</wsi-monConfig:listenPort>
        > > <wsi-monConfig:schemeAndHostPort>What should be here</wsi-
        > > monConfig:schemeAndHostPort>
        [jw]<wsi-
        monConfig:schemaAndHostPort>http://xyz.commerceone.com:9999</wsi-
        monConfig:schemaAndHostPort>

        > 3. When client sends the message to http://localhost:4040,
        destination
        > address is http://localhost:4040 for the original request, isn't it
        MITM's
        > responsibility to just redirect the original message to the actual
        url based
        > on coniguration? If it takes just host and port, where does it get
        the url
        > from?
        [jw] I believe it takes the URL from the original client message, as
        it should. If it were to take the URL from the configuration file,
        what if an errant request from somewhere just happen to hit the
        machine and port you were working on, then you would end up with a
        invalid result. The analyzing tool only looks at log entries that
        are related to the web service you care about. So the MITM can
        actually capture additional messages that are not related to your web
        service without affecting the final result.

        Hopefully, someone from the WS-I tools group can tell us in more
        detail how the MITM works.

        > I am sorry, I am still missing something.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Saikat

      • Saha, Saikat
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2003
          RE: [soapbuilders] Re: WS-I Testing Tool

          Thanks very much Jimmy, this finally worked, I have already sent an email to ws-i feedback email alias in this regard. I believe, WS-I test tool documentation needs to be explicit in this case as this is a real life issue. However the documentation says as below for schemeAndHostPort which seems to be misleading in this case.

          When traffic is received on listenPort, it is sent to the
          URL specified here. The URL can be specified as
          either:
          * An HTTP URL as specified in RFC1738 [2],
          section 3.3:
          * A subset form:
          http://<host>:<port>
          In both cases the port is optional and defaults to 80.

          Thanks once agian,
          Saikat

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/W6uqlB/TM