SOAP without IIS and web service

  • sansar60103
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2003
      I have a request from a client who needs to pass information between
      Solaris and Windows operating systems using SOAP. The restriction is
      that it needs to be done without using Web services or IIS.

      Any ideas???????

      Thanks,
      Sarita
    • Hanxue Lee
      Message 2 of 4 , May 19, 2003
        Hi Sarita,

        I am no expert in Web Services, so hopefully what I said can point you
        to a useful direction.

        I define Web Services as applications which communication over HTTP
        using SOAP messages. If so, Web Services is a higher level of
        abstraction built upon HTTP. You need something to process the SOAP
        messages and that something is your Web Application. IIS can re-route
        SOAP request to your .NET web services and allow them to process it.
        IIS itself does not process the SOAP messages.

        If you don't want to use IIS, you can use Tomcat server, with Axis
        (which is what I am doing now). Basically, Axis and the IIS 6 merely
        servies as Web Services framework; something that holds your web
        applications.

        Theoritically, you can write web applications that directly listen to
        incoming SOAP messages and process them. IMHO, that is just too much
        trouble.

        Hope that helps. Good luck!

        Hanxue

        > I have a request from a client who needs to pass information
        > between
        > Solaris and Windows operating systems using SOAP. The restriction
        > is
        > that it needs to be done without using Web services or IIS.
        >
        > Any ideas???????
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Sarita

        > -~-->
        > Questions.http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/W6uqlB/TM

      • sansar60103
        Message 3 of 4 , May 20, 2003
          Hi Hanxue,

          Thank you for the detailed explanation. I agree that the Web server
          really does not process the request, but some application has to and
          since my need requires me to do some processing on Windows server, I
          am using SOAP toolkit 3.0 by Microsoft and it does use IIS. I can
          convince the client to do the same since IIS is available by default
          for Windows 2000.

          I am planning to use a Windows client...Vb application and a Java
          client on Solaris box to communicate to my Windows server. I guess
          that should do. I already have it working using Windows client, so
          just have to work around on Java side yup using Axis.

          Sarita

          --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, Hanxue Lee <hlee20@s...> wrote:
          > Hi Sarita,
          >
          > I am no expert in Web Services, so hopefully what I said can point
          you
          > to a useful direction.
          >
          > I define Web Services as applications which communication over HTTP
          > using SOAP messages. If so, Web Services is a higher level of
          > abstraction built upon HTTP. You need something to process the SOAP
          > messages and that something is your Web Application. IIS can re-
          route
          > SOAP request to your .NET web services and allow them to process
          it.
          > IIS itself does not process the SOAP messages.
          >
          > If you don't want to use IIS, you can use Tomcat server, with Axis
          > (which is what I am doing now). Basically, Axis and the IIS 6
          merely
          > servies as Web Services framework; something that holds your web
          > applications.
          >
          > Theoritically, you can write web applications that directly listen
          > incoming SOAP messages and process them. IMHO, that is just too
          much
          > trouble.
          >
          > Hope that helps. Good luck!
          >

          > Hanxue

          Important
          > > Questions.http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/W6uqlB/TM
          -
          > > --~->

          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Parameswari Krishnasami
          Message 4 of 4 , May 20, 2003
            Hi Folks ,

            Im using SOAP 2.3.1 with TOMCAT 4.1.24.
            After deploying im getting this error.Im new to SOAP and learning ,any idea??

            Its a Service where im passing Customer ID and have to get Customer Address.

            1) What could be this fault???
            2) And i got doubt ,passing int ..i tried passing Cust ID as string ..Is it advisable or how to do int ,i mean any specific mapping ??

            C:\soap-2_3_1\samples\customer>java samples.customer.GetAddress http://localhost
            :8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter "John B. Good"

            Generated fault: [Attributes={}] [faultCode=SOAP-ENV:Client] [faultString=Deploy
            ment error in SOAP service 'urn:CustAddressFetcher': class name 'samples.scicom
            .Customer' could not be resolved: samples.customer.Address] [faultActorURI=/soap
            /servlet/rpcrouter] [DetailEntries=] [FaultEntries=]

            Expecting to hear from you ,
            Thanks a lot

            Yahoo! Mobile