File upload from browser using SOAP

  • sreddykg
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2003
      Hi Everybody,

      I am trying to create a program which uploads XML files from web
      browser to server using SOAP and which works on IE, Netscape on both
      windows and Mac OS.

      Any help on how to implement this?

      Thanks

      Srinivasa Reddy
    • Byrne Reese
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2003
        Maybe I don't fully understand your requirements, but SOAP does not seem
        like the proper solution to this task. If your core requirement is that it
        works with a web browser, I would suggest you right a simple servlet/CGI of
        somekind to process multipart/form-data input from an HTML form.

        Even if you write right a Web service which takes its input from a SOAP
        message with an attachment, you still have to process the form input from
        the browser as stated above and it would just slow things down to upload a
        file, repackage it in a SOAP request and then send it again. That is a lot
        of work for a simple web form post...

        But you could conceivably architect the solution such that you can offer
        both interfaces. Like so:

        +----------------+ +----------------+
        | HTML Interface | | SOAP Interface |
        +----------------+ +----------------+
        | |
        +----------------------+
        | Business Logic (API) |
        +----------------------+

        +----------------------+
        | Data Layer (MySQL) |
        +----------------------+

        Abstracting it like so makes sense when you think about it - because the
        HTML layer doesn't take on any additional SOAP overhead. Remember, web
        browsers are HUMAN interfaces. SOAP is a MACHINE interface.

        Just my humble 2 cents.

        Byrne Reese
        Developer Program Manager
        Grand Central Communications, Inc.
        http://developer.grandcentral.com/

        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2003
          I agree with Byrne. There are much simpler approaches to send documents over
          HTTP than using SOAP. There is a simple example showing how to upload a file
          to a server using a browser available at:
          http://www.tech-comm.com/as2upload.html

          You can ignore all the form fields, but if you want to send a file click the
          browse button and select a file to send then press the submit button. The
          server will simply echo back whatever you send it in the form so that you
          can see what the browser sent. The approach used in this example follows the
          multipart/form-data standard, RFC 2388:
          http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2388.txt.

          Regards,

          Dick Brooks
          Independent Consultant
          B2B Integration and Cyber Security
          Mobile:602-684-1484

          Message 4 of 5 , May 11, 2003
            As i understand it,  you would like to build a web based soap client  for uploading a file.

            In Delphi 7, you can do this in several ways.  One approach is...you can combine the Intraweb components for building the web application  and the soap components for building the soap server (stand alone, cgi or as isapi).  In this case your web server is a client to your soap server...e.g. you upload your xml file using a browser that calls your web server, then that web server calls the soap server.   Another method is use the file attachment feature in Delphi SOAP, then build a soap client that has the same feature.  A third approach, is build a soap method that has an array of string input, then build a SOAP client that allows array of string as an input.

            sreddykg <sreddykg@...> wrote:
            Hi Everybody,

            I am trying to create a program which uploads XML files from web
            browser to server using SOAP and which works on IE, Netscape on both
            windows and Mac OS.

            Any help on how to implement this?

            Thanks

            Srinivasa Reddy

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Srinivasa Reddy K Ganji
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2003
              Thanks Rico

              --- Rico Pamplona <rrpamplona@...> wrote: > As
              i understand it, you would like to build a web
              > based soap client for uploading a file. In Delphi
              > 7, you can do this in several ways. One approach
              > is...you can combine the Intraweb components for
              > building the web application and the soap
              > components for building the soap server (stand
              > alone, cgi or as isapi). In this case your web
              > server is a client to your soap server...e.g. you
              > upload your xml file using a browser that calls your
              > web server, then that web server calls the soap
              > server. Another method is use the file attachment
              > feature in Delphi SOAP, then build a soap client
              > that has the same feature. A third approach, is
              > build a soap method that has an array of string
              > input, then build a SOAP client that allows array of
              > string as an input.
              > sreddykg <sreddykg@...> wrote:Hi Everybody,
              >
              > I am trying to create a program which uploads XML
              > files from web
              > browser to server using SOAP and which works on IE,
              > Netscape on both
              > windows and Mac OS.
              >
              > Any help on how to implement this?
              >
              > Thanks