RE: [soapbuilders] How to return multiple parameters in Java?

  • jim@ironringsoftware.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2003
      Shooting from the hip:

      1. Return a structure that provides the union of possible return values.
      2. Break the operation up so they each return 1 type.

      I'm not sure how many folks feel this is much of a limitation. Covariant
      return types aren't supported in too many (mainstream) languages.

      Jim

    • qingfenglin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14, 2003
        Jim:
        Thanks for your reply. However, I have tried the solution that you
        provide, but it doesn't work as Apache SOAP generate different
        response as MS SOAP does (see example below).
        I read the user guide of Apache SOAP, it mentions that the default
        Java provider unable to return multiple parameters and the solution
        is writing your own service Provider (See.
        http://ws.apache.org/soap/docs/guide/interop.html) Do you have any
        experience of writting service provider?
        Thanks again for your help

        COM Request:
        <SOAP-ENV:Envelope SOAP-
        ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
        COM Request:
        <xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"
        <SOAP-ENV:Body SOAP-
        ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
        <m:StartDebug
        xmlns:m="http://tempuri.org/message/" SOAP-
        ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
        <bstrDebugID SOAP-
        ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
        xsi:type="xsd:string">t</bstrDebugID>
        <bstrEngineID SOAP-
        ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
        xsi:type="xsd:string"></bstrEngineID>
        </m:StartDebug>
        </SOAP-ENV:Body>
        </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

        Java Response:
        <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
        <SOAP-ENV:Body>
        <ns1:StartDebugResponse
        xmlns:ns1="http://tempuri.org/message/" SOAP-
        ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
        <return xsi:type="ns1:StartDebug">
        <result
        xsi:type="xsd:int">3</result>
        <bstrEngineID
        xsi:type="xsd:string">Java_Engine</bstrEngineID>
        </return>
        </ns1:StartDebugResponse>
        </SOAP-ENV:Body>
        </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

        COM Response:
        <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
        <SOAP-ENV:Body>
        <SOAPSDK1:StartDebugResponse
        xmlns:SOAPSDK1="http://tempuri.org/message/">
        <Result>-8</Result>
        <bstrEngineID>engineID</bstrEngineID>

        --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, <jim@i...> wrote:
        > Shooting from the hip:
        >
        > 1. Return a structure that provides the union of possible return
        values.
        > 2. Break the operation up so they each return 1 type.
        >
        > I'm not sure how many folks feel this is much of a limitation.
        Covariant
        > return types aren't supported in too many (mainstream) languages.
        >
        > Jim

      • Wes Moulder
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2003
          Check out GLUE[1], we handle multiple return parameters. You may find
          GLUE much easier to use than Apache SOAP.
          --Wes

          [1] http://www.themindelectric.com

          Thanks for your reply. However, I have tried the solution that you
          provide, but it doesn't work as Apache SOAP generate different
          response as MS SOAP does (see example below).
          I read the user guide of Apache SOAP, it mentions that the default
          Java provider unable to return multiple parameters and the solution
          is writing your own service Provider (See.
          http://ws.apache.org/soap/docs/guide/interop.html) Do you have any
          experience of writting service provider?
          Thanks again for your help

          COM Request:
          <SOAP-ENV:Envelope SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          COM Request:
          <xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"
          <SOAP-ENV:Body SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
          <m:StartDebug
          xmlns:m="http://tempuri.org/message/" SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
          <bstrDebugID SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          xsi:type="xsd:string">t</bstrDebugID>
          <bstrEngineID SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          xsi:type="xsd:string"></bstrEngineID>
          </m:StartDebug>
          </SOAP-ENV:Body>
          </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

          Java Response:
          <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
          <SOAP-ENV:Body>
          <ns1:StartDebugResponse
          xmlns:ns1="http://tempuri.org/message/" SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
          <return xsi:type="ns1:StartDebug">
          <result
          xsi:type="xsd:int">3</result>
          <bstrEngineID
          xsi:type="xsd:string">Java_Engine</bstrEngineID>
          </return>
          </ns1:StartDebugResponse>
          </SOAP-ENV:Body>
          </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

          COM Response:
          <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
          <SOAP-ENV:Body>
          <SOAPSDK1:StartDebugResponse
          xmlns:SOAPSDK1="http://tempuri.org/message/">
          <Result>-8</Result>
          <bstrEngineID>engineID</bstrEngineID>
          </SOAPSDK1:StartDebugResponse>
          </SOAP-ENV:Body>
          </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

          --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, <jim@i...> wrote:
          > Shooting from the hip:
          >
          > 1. Return a structure that provides the union of possible return
          values.
          > 2. Break the operation up so they each return 1 type.
          >
          > I'm not sure how many folks feel this is much of a limitation.
          Covariant
          > return types aren't supported in too many (mainstream) languages.
          >
          > Jim

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to