How to return multiple parameters in Java?

  • qingfenglin
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2003
      Hi:
      SOAP RPC also has the notion of return parameters: responses
      carrying more than one "return" value. Apache SOAP's default RPC
      service provicer does not support such return parameters as those are
      beyond the scope of Java (which has only a single return value). Does
      anybody knows how to write a provider so that Java can return
      multiple parameters? Thanks a million
    • jim@ironringsoftware.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 14, 2003
        Shooting from the hip:

        1. Return a structure that provides the union of possible return values.
        2. Break the operation up so they each return 1 type.

        I'm not sure how many folks feel this is much of a limitation. Covariant
        return types aren't supported in too many (mainstream) languages.

        Jim

      • qingfenglin
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 14, 2003
          Jim:
          Thanks for your reply. However, I have tried the solution that you
          provide, but it doesn't work as Apache SOAP generate different
          response as MS SOAP does (see example below).
          I read the user guide of Apache SOAP, it mentions that the default
          Java provider unable to return multiple parameters and the solution
          is writing your own service Provider (See.
          http://ws.apache.org/soap/docs/guide/interop.html) Do you have any
          experience of writting service provider?
          Thanks again for your help

          COM Request:
          <SOAP-ENV:Envelope SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          COM Request:
          <xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"
          <SOAP-ENV:Body SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
          <m:StartDebug
          xmlns:m="http://tempuri.org/message/" SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
          <bstrDebugID SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          xsi:type="xsd:string">t</bstrDebugID>
          <bstrEngineID SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
          xsi:type="xsd:string"></bstrEngineID>
          </m:StartDebug>
          </SOAP-ENV:Body>
          </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

          Java Response:
          <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
          <SOAP-ENV:Body>
          <ns1:StartDebugResponse
          xmlns:ns1="http://tempuri.org/message/" SOAP-
          ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
          <return xsi:type="ns1:StartDebug">
          <result
          xsi:type="xsd:int">3</result>
          <bstrEngineID
          xsi:type="xsd:string">Java_Engine</bstrEngineID>
          </return>
          </ns1:StartDebugResponse>
          </SOAP-ENV:Body>
          </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

          COM Response:
          <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
          <SOAP-ENV:Body>
          <SOAPSDK1:StartDebugResponse
          xmlns:SOAPSDK1="http://tempuri.org/message/">
          <Result>-8</Result>
          <bstrEngineID>engineID</bstrEngineID>

          --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, <jim@i...> wrote:
          > Shooting from the hip:
          >
          > 1. Return a structure that provides the union of possible return
          values.
          > 2. Break the operation up so they each return 1 type.
          >
          > I'm not sure how many folks feel this is much of a limitation.
          Covariant
          > return types aren't supported in too many (mainstream) languages.
          >
          > Jim

        • Wes Moulder
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 14, 2003
            Check out GLUE[1], we handle multiple return parameters. You may find
            GLUE much easier to use than Apache SOAP.
            --Wes

            [1] http://www.themindelectric.com

            Thanks for your reply. However, I have tried the solution that you
            provide, but it doesn't work as Apache SOAP generate different
            response as MS SOAP does (see example below).
            I read the user guide of Apache SOAP, it mentions that the default
            Java provider unable to return multiple parameters and the solution
            is writing your own service Provider (See.
            http://ws.apache.org/soap/docs/guide/interop.html) Do you have any
            experience of writting service provider?
            Thanks again for your help

            COM Request:
            <SOAP-ENV:Envelope SOAP-
            ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
            COM Request:
            <xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema"
            <SOAP-ENV:Body SOAP-
            ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
            <m:StartDebug
            xmlns:m="http://tempuri.org/message/" SOAP-
            ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
            <bstrDebugID SOAP-
            ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
            xsi:type="xsd:string">t</bstrDebugID>
            <bstrEngineID SOAP-
            ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
            xsi:type="xsd:string"></bstrEngineID>
            </m:StartDebug>
            </SOAP-ENV:Body>
            </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

            Java Response:
            <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
            <SOAP-ENV:Body>
            <ns1:StartDebugResponse
            xmlns:ns1="http://tempuri.org/message/" SOAP-
            ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
            <return xsi:type="ns1:StartDebug">
            <result
            xsi:type="xsd:int">3</result>
            <bstrEngineID
            xsi:type="xsd:string">Java_Engine</bstrEngineID>
            </return>
            </ns1:StartDebugResponse>
            </SOAP-ENV:Body>
            </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

            COM Response:
            <SOAP-ENV:Envelope
            <SOAP-ENV:Body>
            <SOAPSDK1:StartDebugResponse
            xmlns:SOAPSDK1="http://tempuri.org/message/">
            <Result>-8</Result>
            <bstrEngineID>engineID</bstrEngineID>
            </SOAPSDK1:StartDebugResponse>
            </SOAP-ENV:Body>
            </SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

            --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, <jim@i...> wrote:
            > Shooting from the hip:
            >
            > 1. Return a structure that provides the union of possible return
            values.
            > 2. Break the operation up so they each return 1 type.
            >
            > I'm not sure how many folks feel this is much of a limitation.
            Covariant
            > return types aren't supported in too many (mainstream) languages.
            >
            > Jim

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to