DIME and SOAP.. SOAP and DIME!

  • nutty_nut5
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2003
      hello!
      first day .. first email.. and so many questions!

      I read an article, "Sending Files, Attachments, and SOAP Messages Via Direct Internet
      Message Encapsulation", written by Jeannine Hall Gailey and published in MSDN Magazine in
      December 2002 ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/12/DIME/default.aspx ) in which it is said that
      one of the reasons DIME is used to send binary data is to avoid all the encoding and decoding necessary when
      using the base64 encoding(for files such as images).. it is also said that this encoding and decoding is not
      a good idea when the document is digitally signed. I don't understand this last affirmation; if a digitally
      signed document is modified in any way, it is considered to be no longer valid.. what are the possible
      modifications that the document could encounter using the base64 encoding instead of sending it as an
      attachment?

      Another, more general question: is DIME supported by programming languages other than Java
      - C, C++, Visual Basic?

      I have another problem in using DIME & SOAP:
      starting off with the WSDL specification, i want to be able to create all the server and
      client classes necessary for the use of the Web Service (through WSDL2Java).. the server
      and client should be able to send and receive attachments, and for this i have added the
      necessary DIME tags. The problem is, when i watch the messages passing between server and
      client - using TCPMONITOR- the files that should be handled as attachments are instead put
      in the soap body.
      So... how can i send files as attachments?!

      Thanx!

      al