SOAP::Lite

  • luc.gauthier@aventis.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
      Hi all,

      I am interested in installing and using SOAP::Lite for Perl on my
      development
      machine so I just visited the dedicated website at www.soaplite.com

      One thing that makes me hesitate is the fact that I can't find out if it's
      still maintained. The last available version is almost one year old.

      I though I would ask people on this mailing for information, since you may
      have details about this SOAP implementation.

      Otherwise, does anyone know which SOAP implementation for Perl is the most
      up-to-date and best to use ?

      I thank you in advance for any help and send you my greetings,
      Luc Gauthier
    • Randy J. Ray
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
        > Otherwise, does anyone know which SOAP implementation for Perl is the most
        > up-to-date and best to use ?

        SOAP::Lite is the most up-to-date, and the most complete SOAP toolkit for
        Perl. The only other toolkit is much older, and definately not being worked on.

        The SOAP::Lite author has been unreachable for a while. He and I co-authored a
        book on Perl web services, and I confess that I haven't heard from him since
        sometime in late December or early January. So I can't comment on his current
        level of commitment to the code. I hope to contribute some work to it in the
        near future, so while it is somewhat stale at the moment, it isn't dead by any
        account.

        Lastly, if you choose to experiment with it, you may find helpful users on the
        "soaplite" mailing list, also hosted at yahoogroups.com.

        Randy
        Randy J. Ray Campbell, CA http://www.rjray.org rjray@...

        Silicon Valley Scale Modelers: http://www.svsm.org
      • Byrne Reese
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2003
          I too have not heard from Paul in a while. My last correspondence with
          him was in November. We have been conspiring together to kick off a new
          SOAP::Lite development effort to take it to full release of 1.0. It
          would entail quite a large rewriting effort.

          A sourceforge project has been created for SOAP::Lite, where ultimately
          to project will be maintained.

          I am currently working on an upgrade to SOAP::MIME and familiarizing
          myself even more with the SOAP::Lite code base.

          Soon enough, SOAP::Lite will undergo a drastic rearchitecture... in the
          mean time, SOAP::Lite is alive and kicking.

          Log feature requests and bugs at:
          http://sourceforge.net/projects/soaplite

          On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 03:40, Randy J. Ray wrote:
          > > Otherwise, does anyone know which SOAP implementation for Perl is the most
          > > up-to-date and best to use ?
          >
          > SOAP::Lite is the most up-to-date, and the most complete SOAP toolkit for
          > Perl. The only other toolkit is much older, and definately not being worked on.
          >
          > The SOAP::Lite author has been unreachable for a while. He and I co-authored a
          > book on Perl web services, and I confess that I haven't heard from him since
          > sometime in late December or early January. So I can't comment on his current
          > level of commitment to the code. I hope to contribute some work to it in the
          > near future, so while it is somewhat stale at the moment, it isn't dead by any
          > account.
          >
          > Lastly, if you choose to experiment with it, you may find helpful users on the
          > "soaplite" mailing list, also hosted at yahoogroups.com.
          >
          > Randy
        • Tomas Bahnik
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2003
            > I am currently working on an upgrade to SOAP::MIME and familiarizing
            > myself even more with the SOAP::Lite code base.

            So maybe you could tell me if SOAP::Lite supports doc/lit wsdl in the right
            way.

            Tomas
          • Byrne Reese
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2003
              Sad to say, but at the current time SOAP::Lite's WSDL support is not very
              robust. Let me refer you to the following thread regarding SOAP::Lite and
              WSDL::Generator: