Persistent Objects Based On Web Services

  • asimjalis
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11 7:15 AM
      Is there a standard or product (open source or commercial) for
      creating persistent objects using web services? For example, I
      want to be able to create an object on an object server, invoke
      methods on it, get its properties etc, all using web services.

      I am looking for something where the objects are more persistent
      than cookies. Ideally they should be stored in a database.
      Another requirement is that the whole interface should be exposed
      only through web services.

      I can roll my own using an object identifier technique. But
      that's the last resort. It seems like a general enough problem
      that I wondered if there was already a solution for this out
      there.

      Any pointers would be really useful. I am specially interested in
      open source projects and standards around this. But commercial
      products or unimplemented standards would be find too.

      Thanks.

      Asim

      ----
      Asim Jalis
      Web Services Management Operation
      HP OpenView Division
      425.401.6139
      asim.jalis@...
    • Kingsley Idehen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11 7:33 AM

        Asim,

        Take a look at OpenLink Virtuoso, you can download a free eval from:

        http://www.openlinksw.com  or http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso

        The Objects in question may be .NET CLR/CLI based or Mono ( http://www.go-mono.com ) CLI based, Java based, or even C++ based. You can even make a SOAP Service a TYPE within Virtuoso (imagine creating a DB column that is base on a TYPE derived from a SOAP service?).

        Regards,

        Kingsley Idehen

        OpenLink Software