Re: [soapbuilders] Re: Nested simpleType declaration

  • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 19, 2002
      You might do better to ask this on the schema-dev mailing list
      (xmlschema-dev@...). It's really a schema question, not SOAP (and I
      don't happen to know the answer offhand).

      Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
      IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
      One Rogers Street
      Cambridge, MA 02142

      "tedpliu <ted.liu@...>" <ted.liu
      12/19/02 02:13 PM
      Please respond to soapbuilders

      To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
      cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
      Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: Nested simpleType declaration
      Categories:

      In webMethods Integration Server someone can select any existing XSD
      type and define values for the available facets to create their
      specific type (i.e. they can leverage the full XSD type system). It
      surely is not optimal to require WSDL generators to 'compress' a
      derived hierarchy of types into a flat extension of the simplest type.

    • Wes Moulder
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2002
        Ted,
        It's not a derived heirarchy if you're dealing with nested anonymous
        simpleTypes. In other words, the inner simpleType is completely
        unreferencable, and just makes things needlessly complicated. If you're
        extending an existing XSD type, then that type [sh|w]ould be addressible
        by a name. You addressed in your post that it would work if you break
        out the inner simpleType, so it seemed to be a call for people to
        readily accept anonymous simpleTypes in a restriction.

        All I see are negatives with doing it that way. Are there actually
        positives that I'm missing?
        --Wes

        In webMethods Integration Server someone can select any existing XSD
        type and define values for the available facets to create their
        specific type (i.e. they can leverage the full XSD type system). It
        surely is not optimal to require WSDL generators to 'compress' a
        derived hierarchy of types into a flat extension of the simplest type.

        --- In soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com, "Wes Moulder" <wes@t...> wrote:
        > Why not just do it as:
        >
        > <xsd:element name="quantity">
        > <xsd:simpleType>
        > <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
        > <xsd:whiteSpace value="preserve" />
        > <xsd:pattern value="\d{3}-[A-Z]{2}"/>
        > </xsd:restriction>
        > </xsd:simpleType>
        > </xsd:element>
        >
        > (other than the fact that requiring it meet a pattern that doesn't
        > contain whitespace, and having whitespace preserved doesn't make
        much
        > sense?)
        >
        > --Wes

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • tedpliu <ted.liu@webmethods.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 2002
          Hi Wes,

          Per Noah Mendelsohn's suggestion, I have moved this discussion to the
          xmlschema-dev@... discussion thread. The question is posted by a
          colleague of mine, Asir Vedamuthu, under the title "Nested Simple
          Type Definitions - AXIS/.NET".

          -Ted