RE: [soapbuilders] Nested simpleType declaration

  • Wes Moulder
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 18, 2002
      Why not just do it as:

      <xsd:element name="quantity">
      <xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
      <xsd:whiteSpace value="preserve" />
      <xsd:pattern value="\d{3}-[A-Z]{2}"/>
      </xsd:restriction>
      </xsd:simpleType>
      </xsd:element>

      (other than the fact that requiring it meet a pattern that doesn't
      contain whitespace, and having whitespace preserved doesn't make much
      sense?)

      --Wes

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 19, 2002
        In webMethods Integration Server someone can select any existing XSD
        type and define values for the available facets to create their
        specific type (i.e. they can leverage the full XSD type system). It
        surely is not optimal to require WSDL generators to 'compress' a
        derived hierarchy of types into a flat extension of the simplest type.

      • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 19, 2002
          You might do better to ask this on the schema-dev mailing list
          (xmlschema-dev@...). It's really a schema question, not SOAP (and I
          don't happen to know the answer offhand).

          Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
          IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
          One Rogers Street
          Cambridge, MA 02142

          "tedpliu <ted.liu@...>" <ted.liu
          12/19/02 02:13 PM
          Please respond to soapbuilders

          To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
          cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
          Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: Nested simpleType declaration
          Categories:

        • Wes Moulder
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2002
            Ted,
            It's not a derived heirarchy if you're dealing with nested anonymous
            simpleTypes. In other words, the inner simpleType is completely
            unreferencable, and just makes things needlessly complicated. If you're
            extending an existing XSD type, then that type [sh|w]ould be addressible
            by a name. You addressed in your post that it would work if you break
            out the inner simpleType, so it seemed to be a call for people to
            readily accept anonymous simpleTypes in a restriction.

            All I see are negatives with doing it that way. Are there actually
            positives that I'm missing?
            --Wes

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 23, 2002
              Hi Wes,

              Per Noah Mendelsohn's suggestion, I have moved this discussion to the
              xmlschema-dev@... discussion thread. The question is posted by a
              colleague of mine, Asir Vedamuthu, under the title "Nested Simple
              Type Definitions - AXIS/.NET".

              -Ted