Nested simpleType declaration

  • tedpliu <ted.liu@webmethods.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 18, 2002
      I cannot get AXIS or .NET to consume the following simple type
      declarations:

      <xsd:element name="quantity">
      <xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:restriction>
      <xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:restriction base="xsd:decimal">
      <xsd:fractionDigits value="0"/>
      <xsd:minInclusive value="1"/>
      <xsd:whiteSpace value="collapse"/>
      </xsd:restriction>
      </xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:maxExclusive value="100"/>
      </xsd:restriction>
      </xsd:simpleType>
      </xsd:element>

      and

      <xsd:simpleType name="SKU">
      <xsd:restriction>
      <xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
      <xsd:whiteSpace value="preserve"/>
      </xsd:restriction>
      </xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:pattern value="\d{3}-[A-Z]{2}"/>
      </xsd:restriction>
      </xsd:simpleType>

      I believe the problem has with the use of inline simpleType
      declaration within a simpleType declaration because I was able to get
      AXIS and .NET to consume the following declarations:

      <xsd:element name="quantity">
      <xsd:simpleType>
      <xsd:restriction base="xsd:decimal">
      <xsd:fractionDigits value="0"/>
      <xsd:minInclusive value="1"/>
      <xsd:whiteSpace value="collapse"/>
      <xsd:maxExclusive value="100"/>
      </xsd:restriction>
      </xsd:simpleType>
      </xsd:element>

      and

      <xsd:simpleType name="SKU">
      <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
      <xsd:whiteSpace value="preserve"/>
      <xsd:pattern value="\d{3}-[A-Z]{2}"/>
      </xsd:restriction>
      </xsd:simpleType>

      But these modified declarations are not semantically equivalent to
      the first ones.

      Has anyone run into this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.

      -Ted
    • Wes Moulder
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 18, 2002
        Why not just do it as:

        <xsd:element name="quantity">
        <xsd:simpleType>
        <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
        <xsd:whiteSpace value="preserve" />
        <xsd:pattern value="\d{3}-[A-Z]{2}"/>
        </xsd:restriction>
        </xsd:simpleType>
        </xsd:element>

        (other than the fact that requiring it meet a pattern that doesn't
        contain whitespace, and having whitespace preserved doesn't make much
        sense?)

        --Wes

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • tedpliu <ted.liu@webmethods.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 19, 2002
          In webMethods Integration Server someone can select any existing XSD
          type and define values for the available facets to create their
          specific type (i.e. they can leverage the full XSD type system). It
          surely is not optimal to require WSDL generators to 'compress' a
          derived hierarchy of types into a flat extension of the simplest type.

        • noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 19, 2002
            You might do better to ask this on the schema-dev mailing list
            (xmlschema-dev@...). It's really a schema question, not SOAP (and I
            don't happen to know the answer offhand).

            Noah Mendelsohn Voice: 1-617-693-4036
            IBM Corporation Fax: 1-617-693-8676
            One Rogers Street
            Cambridge, MA 02142

            "tedpliu <ted.liu@...>" <ted.liu
            12/19/02 02:13 PM
            Please respond to soapbuilders

            To: soapbuilders@yahoogroups.com
            cc: (bcc: Noah Mendelsohn/Cambridge/IBM)
            Subject: [soapbuilders] Re: Nested simpleType declaration
            Categories:

          • Wes Moulder
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 20, 2002
              Ted,
              It's not a derived heirarchy if you're dealing with nested anonymous
              simpleTypes. In other words, the inner simpleType is completely
              unreferencable, and just makes things needlessly complicated. If you're
              extending an existing XSD type, then that type [sh|w]ould be addressible
              by a name. You addressed in your post that it would work if you break
              out the inner simpleType, so it seemed to be a call for people to
              readily accept anonymous simpleTypes in a restriction.

              All I see are negatives with doing it that way. Are there actually
              positives that I'm missing?
              --Wes

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 23, 2002
                Hi Wes,

                Per Noah Mendelsohn's suggestion, I have moved this discussion to the
                xmlschema-dev@... discussion thread. The question is posted by a
                colleague of mine, Asir Vedamuthu, under the title "Nested Simple
                Type Definitions - AXIS/.NET".

                -Ted